GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PS fluid or coolant? Leaky front bumper

Default PS fluid or coolant? Leaky front bumper

My car has been pissing some fluid out the front bumper. It's coming from just to the left of the fog light on the driver side.

I know I have leaking power steering somewhere, but it doesn't seem that the fluid empties fast enough that I should be spring leaks through the body. I've topped off the PS 2x in about 6,000 miles.

All my levels seem fine (oil, coolant, PS fluid). Had it up on ramps yesterday and couldn't find any major problems with the plastic shroud off. Is there anything in particular I should check in that area? Any way to determine whether is PS fluid or coolant?

Just went out and grabbed some pics...

My winter dubs, not as good as the 1 steelie:

Prepare for liftoff:

Ooops I sprung a leak (again):

At least one of my suspected PS leaks:

Last edited by brosher; 12-10-2006 at 08:57 AM.

Nice car.

First, I have no definitive method for differentiating b/w PS fluid and Coolant, but, on a clean surface, coolant should retain some of its color and smell sweet, whereas PS should be a bit more viscous and brown in color (at least CHF??). depending on how much you're leaking, it may take a while for the coolant level to drop. FWIW, on my M50, I think it would be difficult for PSfluid to migrate toward the bumper as the lines head back toward the steering box, but stranger things have happened.

Now, there is one more thing to check. Hard to tell whether you have the headlight cleaning set-up (there is a proper term for this, eluding me now), and I think there are hoses asociated with it that run along the front of the car. If these leak, then you may experience what we're seeing.

Try and get a good sample of the fluid on a clean surface and let us know.

Dave M
    Last edited by Dave M; 12-10-2006 at 10:22 AM.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Well just spent some quality time with the car. I replaced a breather hose on the top of the rad that looked questionable. Not sure if this was the source but it eliminates one thing. Only other source I can think of is the drain plug over there.

Is it common for pinhole to show up in the radiator? I can't see the front of the radiator to tell if anything is going on. The rad was replaced by the previous owner and is about 1.5 years old. It is running green coolant.

I have a slow leak near the left headlight side as well. It's oil, so I believe it's PS fluid. A leak near the PS fluid tank. I'm sure it's not coolant. If it's coolant, it should dry out after a day.
    (SOLD) 92 525ia M50 | NGK plug | JVC AR560 | EAT chip | California

Hey man - I had the SAME issue. It looked like my fog light has a bladder issue. It's power steering there. You can tell because its so oily. What I did was order that hose on autohausaz i think its 12mm. Search power steering they sell the low pressure hoses in bulk - you're leaking on the frame rail and its finding its way down to the bumper. Once I replaced that hose, I used Gunk engine degreaser in an aerosol can. Simply spray the hell out of the frame rail and anywhere you can see the PS fluid puddled/yucky - hose it out with LOW pressure you dont want water going all over your electronics. I am alllll clean there now its amazing how effective it is.

To replace the hose you need to remove the PS resevoir from the fender, cut the crimp type clamps at both the resevoir and at the hard line down on the fender. Ah screw it I am going to go get a picture of what I am talking about. BRB.

As promised:

You can see I have a paper towel around the clamp on that remaining line - I didn't have any more small worm clamps to use. BMW uses these clamps that lock with pliers that eventually work free. I don't know why they used them - perhaps to bring cars in for service

Anyway, hit up autozone for small clamps and replace every clamp on the PS area there with a new worm clamp - it should stop the leaks. It's usually not the line cracked leaking but I replaced mine because it was just so gross looking.

That entire area I pictured was coated in about 1/16" of grime and gunk, oil, etc. I used simple green at first and touched a rag to it before I realized how gross it was and how long it'd take for me to rag it up. Those pictures above are after simply spraying with Gunk and then low pressure hosing. I didn't touch a brush or rag to it once.

OT: I wouldn't use the ramps alone.

I've got those Rino ramps as well, one developed a 3" crack in the front-base.

There was also a thread a while back about someone who had the next model down and had one blow out causing damage to the car.

I now only use the ramps to "quick-lift", i then place stands.

As to the original post, i had a leak there several years ago, it was the headlight washer line - no biggie. What's the fluid feel/smell like ?

[EDIT]
    Never mind, took another look at the pics, you don't have the headlight washer system.
    [/EDIT]

The M60 uses the expensive Pentosin hydraulic fluid, not sure how that compares to normal power steering fluid. Also I think the reservoir is in a different spot from the m50.

Thanks for the advise Jon. I will definitely have to check out that Gunk degreaser as there is some nastiness in there.

What's the best method to make repairs to the hose? Can I just use a little container to catch the fluid when I disconnect the line in the picture above?

Pentosin is greenish.
    Just use a paper towel and get some of the stuff into it.
    Then dip the paper towel into the Pentosin reservoir and the coolant and compare it.
    My assumption is Pentosin what you are loosing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast