GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hose Unknown!?

Default Hose Unknown!?

Hey guys i did a head gasket job on my 1990 BMW 525i (M20) and unfortunatlly I did not take pictures before so now im stuck somewhere. There is a place for a 3/4in hose roughly towards the back of the motor on the drivers side sticking out of the cylinder head, it appears to be a coolant hose, but I am not sure where it leads to! If someone knows please help me out! Thank You

As I recall, that hose goes to the throttle body water jacket.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

where in the heck is that?

Do you mean the big one right at the back of the cyl. head, a sort of bolted-on aluminium pipe outlet thingy?
    Last edited by E34-520iSE; 12-09-2006 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuthinfancy
    where in the heck is that?
    There are two coolant hose nipples on the left side of the throttle body, below the crankcase ventilation hose nipple. Those are for the throttle body water jacket. There are shaped hoses for hooking that up. One side (doesn't matter which one) goes to the nipple at the back of the head, the other on the bottom of the thermostat housing, if I recall correctly.

Unless, of course, as E34-520iSE suggests, you're referring to the larger hose at the back of the head that goes to the heater valves.

See http://realoem.com for diagrams.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Quote Originally Posted by E34-520iSE
    Do you mean the big one right at the back of the cyl. head, a sort of bolted-on aluminium pipe outlet thingy?
    Yes I believe so!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis
    Unless, of course, as E34-520iSE suggests, you're referring to the larger hose at the back of the head that goes to the heater valves.

See http://realoem.com for diagrams.
    Yes I do believe that is the one, it looks to me like it runs coolant but I am also unsure of that, becuase there really isnt anywhere that it can go.

OK here is the diagram of the spout (it is #15).

Also since I found the diagram of the other hose I couldnt figure out wher it went to i Figured id post that to (its #19) on the following diagram, where does it go?

It's not shown on that diagram, but as I recall it's the hose that goes to the auxiliary water pump if you've got one, or to the heater valves if you don't.

1997 535i V8

How about that one in the top diagram, do you know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast