GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1994 BMW 530V8 Tourer - Double Sunroof

Quote Originally Posted by bsell
    The problem with the air hose is if their is a blockage in the line that is stronger than the sticktion of the rubber drain hose to the metal drain tube, the rubber hose pops off the metal drain tube. Then you get to find this out during the next rain, as in you have a huge mess underneath the rubber hose/metal drain tube junction.

In other words, don't use air pressure to fix this problem...

Sometimes a stubborn clog can be removed by soaking the clog with water (i.e. filling the drain tube with water, letting it soak, then jabbing at the clog with the trimmer line) and the trimmer line.

Make sure the outlet is not sealed up with road junk or tar.
    Hi

Thanks for that. Any idea where the drain tubes come out under tha car?

I have looked and there are 4 drain holes - 2 front and 2 back.

Thanks

Brian

The rear drains are up by the hinge of the rear hatch. You can see them to the outside of the hinge arms. About 3/8 inch in diameter. Best seen with the main hatch open. It was the rear drains that plugged up on me. The front ones exit about 1 inch behind the front jack point, inside of the seam that separates the rocker panel from the floor.

Warren
    88 325iX
    91 318is
    95 525iT

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenBrown
    The rear drains are up by the hinge of the rear hatch. You can see them to the outside of the hinge arms. About 3/8 inch in diameter. Best seen with the main hatch open. It was the rear drains that plugged up on me. The front ones exit about 1 inch behind the front jack point, inside of the seam that separates the rocker panel from the floor.

Warren
    88 325iX
    91 318is
    95 525iT
    Hi

Thanks Warren. Yes I have now found the back ones.

What was your experience with the blockage.

I would assume my nearside rear is blocked. [I am RHD] The sliding roof internal material gets damp on the underside in that corner and the droplets of water fall on the rear head rest. I do get damp under the rear section of boot floor - I hope that relates to the sliding roof and not a leak from the rear door! How did you clear yours and how did you check for leaks?

Thanks

Brian

Any chance you can post some pics of your roofs, I am sure a few of us have never seen the luxury of 2 sunroofs... I am very jealous!

I have never had mine block, but I make a point of not parking under trees if I can avoid it and have a car port. Trees create the fabled birds nest syndrome which attracts large rodents, insects and communicable diseases into the fan blower motor...

However my mum used to do it all the time with her Land Rover. That POS had a Webasto sun roof just like ours (a.k.a Hollandia- same as oem BMW and Mercedes (it was about the the only thing on the car that was well designed and well made).

The drains always clogged up as sure as everything else imaginable and otherwise would go wrong. The best thing to use is a bicycle gear/brake cable sheath- make sure there are no metal sharps on the end so you don't scratch the pipes internally- it is really stiff yet flexible enough for the job. one poke and its done.

No point wasting time cleaning poultice from your pipes! Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Any chance you can post some pics of your roofs, I am sure a few of us have never seen the luxury of 2 sunroofs... I am very jealous!
    So am I correct in reading that an alpine white double-roof wagon is a rare bird? Hmmm.. that's cool. Both of mine work, and it leaks like a mofo in the car wash. I cleaned out all the lines and such but to no avail. Next step is replacing the rubber 'gasket' around the roof.

If you want to see pics of both holes open, let me know.

do you insert the weed wacker filament from the exit or the entrance of the drain tube?
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

Quote Originally Posted by brick8
    do you insert the weed wacker filament from the exit or the entrance of the drain tube?
    I did mine from the sunroof. There are 4 little holes - one in each corner - that you fish the line into.

Quote Originally Posted by shrike071
    So am I correct in reading that an alpine white double-roof wagon is a rare bird? Hmmm.. that's cool.
    If you want to see pics of both holes open, let me know.
    not really #1
    A touring with no double sunroof would be a rare bird

not really #2
    I get to see it everyday.

Hi brick8 we have a 525 touring and have had epics with our sunroof drains both back and front. Tried nylon cable in various thickness and went down to earth wire - nothing would unblock them. Eventually found a wire drain unblocker. Long wire with a plastic handle one end and the wire threaded into a screw shape at the other - worked a treat £1.00 from our local sell everthing store. Got out mud pine needles and lots of excess paint. No problems at all since. We now pour warm water down at intervals to keep them clear.

Let's see some pics of all these tourings!
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast