GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Vibrating splindles. I needed to change the center bearing nd flexible joint

Default Vibrating splindles. I needed to change the center bearing nd flexible joint

for my drive-train. I went to the mechanic and we changed them both and then when driving away realized the car was vibrating very annoyingly at around 2800-3200 RPM. Then it disappears. It seems the idiot just forgot to mark the two sections of the spinle and then returned then in an un-balanced position. Any idea how I can put this right knowing that the guy never put a chalk (or any other) mark on the spindels. Is there a factory mark or setting on those or am I doomed with this vibration for good ???? Help me out please
    1990 520i M20 Manual, 16" wheels 225/50 Conti's Bi-Xenon. Crystal tail lights. Sachs lowering kit. MOMO steering wheel and shift knob. Pioneer sound system all around.

i believe that it is possible to have the shaft rebalanced, however I have not done this myself before. I did the flex and centre bearing with a mate who knew where and how to mark it. best of luck. Win or Bill R will be able to help on this problem u have

If you've got a CV joint at the differential then I think you're screwed. If your driveshaft has a ujoint at the diff then you've got good chance of correcting the problem.

The ujoints MUST be "in-phase" with one another. The yokes at each end of the driveshaft section must be 90 degrees apart, that is when one yoke is horizontal, the other yoke must be vertical. There are only (2) ways to assemble the driveshaft that put the ujoints "in phase".

If they are in phase now, then disassemble the spline joint and rotate one end 180 degrees and reassemble.

If the ujoints are NOT "in-phase" now, reassemble so they are "in-phase", test drive, check for vibration. If vibration still exists, disassemble and rotate 180 degrees.

The photo in Bentley page 260-1 shows "in-phase" ujoints.

Make certain center bearing is preloaded on reassembly.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by aabdelhamid
    for my drive-train. I went to the mechanic and we changed them both and then when driving away realized the car was vibrating very annoyingly at around 2800-3200 RPM. Then it disappears. It seems the idiot just forgot to mark the two sections of the spinle and then returned then in an un-balanced position. Any idea how I can put this right knowing that the guy never put a chalk (or any other) mark on the spindels. Is there a factory mark or setting on those or am I doomed with this vibration for good ???? Help me out please
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Default What do you mean "pre-loaded"?

1990 520i M20 Manual, 16" wheels 225/50 Conti's Bi-Xenon. Crystal tail lights. Sachs lowering kit. MOMO steering wheel and shift knob. Pioneer sound system all around.

Preload means push center bearing forward .25" (?) before tightening hold down bolts. The correct amount is in Bentley's.

Paul Shovestul
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

ah yes paul, my bad i should have mentioned this as well.