GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Heat

Default Heat

Just bought a 94 530 w/176,000 miles. I'm having trouble figuring out the climate control. It came with a manual, but I can't seem to get real heat from it. It gets warm but not hot. Also, even though I feel warm air through the central vents, the air from the rear vents blows cold. I do have a coolant leak somewhere, but I've seen no low coolant warnings. Can someone explain how the climate controls operate? I have the three knobs; driver and passenger rotating temp controls and the central blower knob. Could the lack of heat be due to a low coolant level?

Thanks

Check coolant level in the expansion tank when the engine is cold, don't wait for the dash warning.

Top slider: Windshield vent flap control
    Middle slider: Chest level vents flap control
    Bottom slider: Foot well vents flap control

Turn driver & passenger dials to warm & turn the dial for the vents above the radio to heat as well......?

You should get tons of heat from the windshield & floor vents when the sliders are open.

The rear vents that are mid/knee level do not blow hot air, they are fresh air vents. The rear passenger pointing vents under both front seats should blow hot air.

If you get low air volume even with blower on full blast, your 'micro filter' for the hvac system could be clogged up with dirt.

*Check your coolant level*
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Default Thanks!

I really appreciate the help. What if it still doesn't get very hot after adding coolant? What do you think the problem could be?

Quote Originally Posted by 94530i
    I really appreciate the help. What if it still doesn't get very hot after adding coolant? What do you think the problem could be?
    Some other things that come to my mind,
    Heater Valves
    Aux Pump
    Clogged heater core/other coolant line

Try searching for heater valves, and then aux pump and see if any of that is useful to you.

It could possibly be the heater valves not opening, however, I forget if when they break they stay stuck open or closed, so I could be wrong on that.
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

if it doesnt blow very hard the microfilter is probably clogged.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    if it doesnt blow very hard the microfilter is probably clogged.
    where is that located and how do you clean it, i am having the same problem. I even installed a little heater that connects to the battery which helps some but, not great.
    1992 535i
    202,595 miles (may 19, 2007)

Where does the needle on your engine temp gauge sit? Does it blow cooler even if the gauge is at 12:00 (mid-point)? If it doesn't remain near 12:00 once its been 'warmed up', you may have a failed thermostat.

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Where does the needle on your engine temp gauge sit? Does it blow cooler even if the gauge is at 12:00 (mid-point)? If it doesn't remain near 12:00 once its been 'warmed up', you may have a failed thermostat.

Dave M
    It does stay near 12 o'clock. I just got a coolant level notification. I'm going to add coolant and see if that makes it warmer. It blows hard, just not hot.