GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Clutch fluid dark 2mo. after being flushed - Do I need new master & slave cylinders?

Default Clutch fluid dark 2mo. after being flushed - Do I need new master & slave cylinders?

After having the tranny dropped to replace the clutch, I drove the car for a bit and then flushed the fluid and also flushed the brakes at the same time.

About two months later, the brake fluid is still nice and clean, but the clutch fluid is dark and murky. What's that all about?!

Car has 110k on it. I am thinking maybe the rubber seals are deteriorating and could go at any time and am trying to get in front of this. I am into preventive maintenance !! Don't really feel bad about replacing these parts after 10 years and 100k mi. either.

Also, the clutch pedal does feel a little strange every now and again. Pedal effort is pretty stable, but sometimes it's not a smooth as others. That also tends to lead me to believe that we ought to just change the master and slave.

Thoughts?

Anything else we would replace at this time?

TIA!
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi
    '94 Land Cruiser FZJ-80 202k mi.

"If I could have back all the time and money I ever spent on cars.......I'd spend it all on cars."

Default The odds are good that its just accumulated garbage caused by

moisture and condensation getting into the clutch hydraulics... I would guess that the brake fluid has been flushed in the past regularly but they probably didn't do the clutch line at the same time... I would just flush the clutch fluid again and see how quick it mucks up...

Quote Originally Posted by Super90
    After having the tranny dropped to replace the clutch, I drove the car for a bit and then flushed the fluid and also flushed the brakes at the same time.

About two months later, the brake fluid is still nice and clean, but the clutch fluid is dark and murky. What's that all about?!

Car has 110k on it. I am thinking maybe the rubber seals are deteriorating and could go at any time and am trying to get in front of this. I am into preventive maintenance !! Don't really feel bad about replacing these parts after 10 years and 100k mi. either.

Also, the clutch pedal does feel a little strange every now and again. Pedal effort is pretty stable, but sometimes it's not a smooth as others. That also tends to lead me to believe that we ought to just change the master and slave.

Thoughts?

Anything else we would replace at this time?

TIA!

Actually, I have flushed the clutch every year or two and have had the car for six years, so I feel like we stay on top of it pretty well.

I'll flush again and see what happens, but this seems weird. Never had it get dirty again so quick.
    Robert Callaway
    Dallas, TX
    '94 530im 143k mi
    '94 Land Cruiser FZJ-80 202k mi.

"If I could have back all the time and money I ever spent on cars.......I'd spend it all on cars."