GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: how much to tighten eccentic bolt?

Default how much to tighten eccentic pinch bolt?

I'm sorry to ask such a question, but I could not find a definative answer using the search. I dont want to strip anything. would jsut getting it "snug" do? my torque wrench wont fit in there so I'm looking for a recommended "feel" for getting them tight. oh, also, what is the torque spec for the valve cover bolts? tia!

also, a related question: what is the best way to tighten the valves within spec? I think I read that some tighten the bolt with the eccentric forced down on the .012 feeler? should this work with the M30? The .012 shold grab , the .011 should be an easy fit, and the .013 should not fit, right? thanks!
    Last edited by schnell944; 12-08-2006 at 12:37 PM.

88-90 in-lbs for the pinch bolts. I don't use a torque wrench on mine but I'm sure they're way tighter than spec, I'd rather break one while tightening than to have an eccentric come loose while driving. Gut feel usually works here. Actually, I keep a few spares in my toolbox and went ahead and replaced all the eccentrics & bolts & nuts the time before last.

Specialty open end-wrench torque wrenches are available but are rather expensive & are usually pre-set to a certain non-adjustable torque. You could probably find one at or near 90 in-lbs but be prepared to pay a premium for it.

I'm don't have the torque for the valve cover nuts but 7 ft-lbs rings a bell.

more info:

http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_5.htm
    gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

I agree, its pretty much like askin what torque an oil pan drain pan is torqued to. you should be able to feel a good snug before you Fuch it all up. spares are a great idea also. sorry I couldnt chime in earlier.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy