GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 530xi vs Audi A6 quattro

Default 530xi vs Audi A6 quattro

I have been a forum member for some time - not contributed much - but I read it often. I have owned a 1995 525 for nearly 10 years and put 180K miles on it (car has a total of 210K). Bottom line - very happy with the car. However, it is time for a new vehicle.

I have looked around and have discounted (for various reasons) Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti, etc. The only other consideration at this point is an Audi A6 quattro. Opinions, feedback? I am not trying to start a firestorm here. My tendency is to buy a car and keep it for a long period and I want to make an informed choice.

The Audi is a different animal to Bimmers. I suspect you will be disappointed with one if happy with the 5er.
    Volkswagon absolutely bends one over for service and parts which are needed frequently.
    A new or nearly A6 may be preferrable to 17 yr old 5er with 200k due to freshness only.
    It sounds like you keep cars a long time, the 5 at least, so resale won't be an issue if you wind up liking the Audi. If you need to sell one you will soon find yourself having a firm grip on it unless willing to sell cheap. If you go Audi, lease it. In fact comparing lease costs may be a good way to establish residual value of different models.
    You have asked in an obviously biased forum. However I have experience with both and will never own another Audi for reasons above.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I have heard the same bad things about Audi. How about a late model E39? You can probably find one that is a CPO with a warranty going through 2009. I mean, you have made it for 10 years without 4 wheel drive, right?

Actually, this year is the first year I am getting snow tires for mine, so we'll see how it goes.

Ross--I think your car and mine might be brothers or cousins. Mine is also a 7/95 touring. Orient blue metallic.
    Aaron

95 525iT (130k m.)
    86 325 (190k m.)
    76 2002 (125k m.) sold

Thanks for your reply eggdog23. Let me clarify. An E39 is not out of the question however there are times that I wished that I had AWD (for snow mostly). I simply would like the option to take my car (in snow). At this point, I am opting for a new vehicle and my thinking is - why not get the AWD?

If I were buying a new car and planning on keeping it, I'd go BMW.

NOT Audi.

I used to be unbiased on this stuff until I saw BMW was the better car.
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

Drive an X5 too. They are pretty impressive !

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

I sold a 1994 Audi 100cs quattro to buy my 1992 525it. The audi was well-built and had a rare 5 speed. However, the car had all kinds of leaks and the usual crappy German electronics. (OK if you know how to solder.) Even though it was not as heavy and had a bigger engine the Audi was slower than the BMW. The one area where the Audi had an advantage over the BMW was in the interior quality. The seats are extremely comfortable and well-made.
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

Thats a pretty tough call honestly. I dont know a hell of alot about Audi, but have been around a few newer volkwagons with numerous issues. I work at the dealership and, honestly, I wouldnt own a new Bimmer. The build quality has basically dissapeared and the myriad of electronics and multiple Can-bus, byte-flyte, most bus etc are alwasy causing problems. The newer engines which use the Valvetronic technology are impressive on paper and in function, but basically a way-overcomplicated and noisy valvetrain. IMHO, the last well-built bimmer was the E39. The only new Bimmer I would consider would be the E90 335i. Thats a sweet running machine. I also agree with the comment about looking at X5's. Hands down the best driving SAV out there.

-Ben

I don't jump in often but have some experience with the older Audi/Bimmer.

My son totaled the '94 CS100 Quatro last February. The car never leaked and required only routine maintenance. It was in prime condition with 115K on it, snow tires, etc. It had the SRS warning light going on. I jumped it out. When he totaled the car, both air bags deployed as they should and saved the two front seat passengers from injury.

I would have to add that the AWD system on the Audi's was very progressive in that time frame. My sister is still running her '93 CS80 without issues.

BMW AWD systems are based on the Audi system from what I understand. With any AWD, you are going to pay more for parts and work and need more frequent interventions, IMHO. So unless you see routine snow/ice, they are not cost effective.

My '95 530i with 4 snows does great and doesn't seem to be as needy as the AWD versions of any make..........

You spends your moneys and takes your chances......

I started nearly right out of college selling BMWs, Porsches, and Audis in 1976; when the 2002 was still a new car. I've owned BMWs since 1971. I sold this stuff for a living for over twenty years. I once sold my sister an Audi—at cost—because she wanted it, but told her she'd be better off with a Honda. After twenty years of first-hand experience (they gave me an Audi 100LS to drive as a demo in 1976 and told me to drive it until I appreciated it. 36,000 miles and a set of tires later....) you won't see any Audis in my driveway. I know better. Leasing an Audi is the best advice. Why do you think they invented the short-term lease back when Volvo was putting people into new cars with ten-year financing?