GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technical Advice please.

Default Technical Advice please.

Alright, I am new to the bimmer scene as well as working on them. If this were a chevy truck I would probably be able to see what was wrong and fix it.

Seeing as how that is not so:
    1994 530im

I have a coolant leak that has been slowly dripping away for weeks. Didn't think much of it and this has been going on for about a month. About a week ago, my "coolant level" warning comes on again and the power steering is groaning. There are 2 different fluids that have leaked in my motor box, coolant, and power steering fluid.

I have seen and read most of the water pump replacement threads on a M60 and understand how to replace the water pump, which I ordered and arrived today. The thing I don't understand is are the power steering and the water pump connected? Did they both go out at the same time? Did the strain on the power steering from a slowly seizing water pump cause my power steering system to leak somewhere?

Another thing. Does anyone know of any good BMW repair shops or is there someone in Austin, TX that know's how to do this as inexpensively as possible?

Thanks guys.

P.S. What is self bleeding? Is this what is happening?

Quote Originally Posted by inkstom
    Does anyone know of any good BMW repair shops or is there someone in Austin, TX that know's how to do this as inexpensively as possible?
    You bet! Terry Sayther Automotive: http://www.terrysaytherauto.com/
    You couldn't be in a better place for independent BMW repair. And be sure to say "hello" to my good friends Terry Sayther and Phil Hartman for me, okay?

-(Phil Marx)

I'll do it if they have better prices than Black Forest.

online parts dealer list
    http://home.earthlink.net/~hainesinutah/bmwvendors/
    and here you have the drawings and parts list
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do...938848d4d39ea1

Did the strain on the power steering from a slowly seizing water pump cause my power steering system to leak somewhere?
    Should not happen, normally.

the power steering in my car is slowly leaking from the steering box itself. i threw some lucas power steering stop leak in there, and it cleared it up over about 500 miles, but its starting to come back. i will go the cheap way with more stop leak rather than spring a grand of parts and another grand labor to fix the box!
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    i will go the cheap way with more stop leak rather than spring a grand of parts and another grand labor to fix the box!
    That's a way to keep the car on the road...phst

The M60 V8 cars typically eat power steering hoses because of their proximity to the LH headers. The best way to determine the source of the leak is to clean everything down with brake cleaner, run the car and watch what happens.

A question I have is how it was determined that the water pump is actually bad. Is it weeping coolant? Water pump leaks are typically VERY slow -- and only get noticed when the bearing is bad enough to make a lot of noise and exhibit significant axial play. It's much more likely that one of the radiator's plastic side tanks has a hairline crack, or there's a leaky hose.

Have had professional relationships with both of the aformentioned shops. I think they're reasonable. It's not a chevy, and it does cost good money to have someone else do it for you (if you want it done right). You might want to see if anyone in that area is willing to help you out, I can think of a few people who would be up for the task.

Well like I said every so often the "Coolant Level" warning would come on so I would add some water. Then the frequency increased to about every other day. Did some research, looked in the motor box, saw a puddle of coolant collecting/leaking steadily onto the plastic catch thing, and traces of it being squirted onto the air cleaner.

That is what made me suspect the water pump.

On my chevy it would have been the water pump

I still have no idea what to think about the power steering.

I have however heard of Terry Sayther, but heard that he was expensive. Cliche college student, probably shouldn't have bought a car that would be so expensive to repair/or something that I didn't know how to work on. Too late now. Plus I love this car.

Thanks guys.

Two different issues, neither uncommon. Look first at all the P/S hoses.
    If you can work on a Chevy truck you can fix these too, just nuts and bolts like the Chevy.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by inkstom
    I have however heard of Terry Sayther, but heard that he was expensive. Cliche college student, probably shouldn't have bought a car that would be so expensive to repair/or something that I didn't know how to work on. Too late now. Plus I love this car.
    I can't imagine any competent mechanic in the area who specializes in BMWs would be any cheaper than Terry. Terry has th attitude and experience to fix what's wrong with your without rolling you for other work you don't need. If you tell him you're on a budget but need the car, he'll find a way to do it as cheaply as possible without compromising the repair or your car. Have you seen his shop? Do you know of his "hobbies"? He's quite a character and a visit is most likely worth the trip.

See if these links are available to you. Let me know if you can't access them:
    Terry's shop in Roundel

La Carrera Panamericana
    Here's a snap-shot of just a small part of his storage there:

Shoot, thats not too far from my house, I stop by Terry's tomorrow.

My next question, if there are so many of you in Texas, why not have a get together of some kind? All the yankees do it
    Last edited by inkstom; 12-07-2006 at 11:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast