GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Technical Advice please.

you guys aint yankees is why it dont happen

spend a little time and read up/inspect your car, if you can work on a chevy this car is easier and cheaper to do (with the right part connections) dont let it intimidate you cause its built easier and easier to work on than a chevy (most things). thats what I first realized when I dove into it.

Quote Originally Posted by inkstom

My next question, if there are so many of you in Texas, why not have a get together of some kind? All the yankees do it
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thank you for the confidence inspiring advice. Thats exactly what I needed.

Well I tried and utterly failed to install the water pump myself, and took it to Terry's. I was kind of disappointed, and kind of not.

He is a really nice guy, and seems honest after doing some research, but he quoted me at like 600 for installing a water pump (that I provided) and thermostat and housing.

Then he furthered it by saying that the power steering pump and high pressure hose was out too and that it would cost about 1200 in total with parts.

Then he said that the master cylinder was failing as well and would cost about 350 for the master cylinder alone.

Overall today has been more of a rough day then not.

Does anyone know where to get the high pressure house for less than 80 shipped, or a PS pump, or master cylinder for cheap?

grr

nothing negitive intended but why did you join this forum? almost all of us break out the wrenches and that pump replacement costs us zero when we supply the parts by doing it ourselves

I get my stuff from bmaparts, they ship fast and the prices are good. If you have part numbers for what you need you can google them for a better price but you dont know shipping time.

break out the wrenches boss.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I joined this forum to learn, not to **** up a foreign ass car that I am too poor to fix if I mess it up. Obviously if it costs 600 to get nothing done, then he's an idiot and an ******* thanks for the referral.

Heh, and that guy. Calls me this morning and practically makes fun of me, doesn't fix my water pump, charges me 600, then wants to charge me some more to finsh the job. I came to pick it up, its still in pieces. Waste of time.

Alright, let's talk about what went RIGHT and not how bad of a day it was --
    how far into the job did you get?

Do you have the bentley manual? It can be a lifesaver.

Next time you get stuck, take pictures, get on the forum, and post them. Sometimes it can get frustrating, and it sometimes takes a little time to get a good answer, but we always find solutions.

When I first started working on cars, I'd always get this knot in my stomach because I spent a lot of time thinking about what could happen if I broke it, couldn't get it back together, or otherwise messed it up further than it already was. Admittedly, that sometimes happened, but it was a totally irrational fear, and I always found a way to fix whatever I broke in the process of learning. If this happened to you and caused you to call a shop, get a little confidence in your skills and realize that you _can_ fix it. Like I said earlier in this thread, there are people in the area who I am sure are willing to help you learn how to do this stuff, you just have to find them.

In terms of parts -- I have a few used V8 master cylinders. PM me if interested.
    Last edited by Kalevera; 12-15-2006 at 11:04 PM.

Yea, bud, hey ask for help if you need it. First you need the Bently, it gives you step by steps on everything. Get the parts, use the online reference www.realoem.com and get your parts form BMA, asking their advice (they know e34s) and will give you the right bits.

Getting someone to do it is always expensive as they are not just helping you out, they are earning a living you can't begrudge them that. A 15 year old car will cost you time (and some money) esp if you don't want to DIY.

Get familiar with the wrench, research it and share your experiences... that way you will reap the benefits and enjoy life with your new 4-wheeled friend.

Never fight your bimmer btw, for some of us it is a commitment as serious as many treat a marriage. You have to help her in sickness, health and general old-age (as much as she might still look so sweet, remember her age before you attempt anything difficult for her)

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

nothing personal but with 600 bucks you can equip you with all the tools needed to do almost everything ever required on you E34 and an air compressor and air tools to go with it if you shop carefully.

anytime you go to an Indy you will pay, and pay big unless your very well off. We are here to help every step of the way. If that Terry guy didnt do anything then why pay the ****er? A job done is a job done not turn a bolt and say you owe me at least 600 and I wont finish.

theres more to the story here and I would appreciate seeing the whole story.

why did you pay? and what problem did you have with the waterpump? I did this myself and it wasnt an easy job but wasnt really hard either.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12