GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW approved oils

Default BMW approved oils

http://www.jeae.dk/BMW/Olier/Special%20oils.pdf

I just changed yesterday to Fuchs Titan Carat MC 10W40.
    Approved 'special oil' by BMW.

http://www.fuchs-oil.de/home_en.html?&no_cache=1

shogun, can I ask you a question. What is the difference between these special oils and the Long life 98 and 02(think thats it) oils? Is it the maximum permissible drain interval?

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

I assume - but not sure- they are also considered by BMW as longlife oils.
    For example this Fuchs Titan Carat is approved/released as

ACEA A3/B3, API SL/CF
    MB 229.1, VW 500 00 und 505 00
    BMW Longlife-98
    http://i8.ebayimg.com/05/i/08/10/c2/89_1.JPG

On German Ebay 5 liters buy-now price EURO 21,95=EUR 4.39/Liter
    I get it at my favorite small ex-BMW-Meister repair shop in Tokyo at 900 Yen = 5.90 per Liter including oil change work and disposal cost for the old oil. That is why I do not make DIY for that.
    Last edited by shogun; 12-05-2006 at 11:30 PM.

to be brief, in german highway conditions, LL-01 has a drain interval of 30K kilometers, verses 25K kilometers for LL-98.

to be not so brief....

LL-01 requires full synthetic. LL-98 doesnt. LL-01 is equivenent to A3/B3, and is somewhere between SL and SM in terms of additive levels. most LL-01 oils are SM rated. LL-04 is like a GF-4 oil but with higher shear viscosity. LL-04 oils are to be avoided for performance driving or anyone who wants their engine to last longer.

LL-01 is thats called an XODI oil, for extended oil drain interval. with mostly highway driving its rated for 30000K (more like 10000K for regular driving, we dont drive to work on the autobahn).

as for LL-98, i suspect its more similar to SL specs, while also requiring ACEA A3/B3. SM has a certain max level of additives, and SL has higher levels. newer oils that say LL-98 do not mean they are not as good for the engine as LL-01, in fact the opposite is usually true, but they are worse for the emissions system.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    to be brief, in german highway conditions, LL-01 has a drain interval of 30K kilometers, verses 25K kilometers for LL-98.

to be not so brief....

LL-01 requires full synthetic. LL-98 doesnt. LL-01 is equivenent to A3/B3, and is somewhere between SL and SM in terms of additive levels. most LL-01 oils are SM rated. LL-04 is like a GF-4 oil but with higher shear viscosity. LL-04 oils are to be avoided for performance driving or anyone who wants their engine to last longer.

LL-01 is thats called an XODI oil, for extended oil drain interval. with mostly highway driving its rated for 30000K (more like 10000K for regular driving, we dont drive to work on the autobahn).

as for LL-98, i suspect its more similar to SL specs, while also requiring ACEA A3/B3. SM has a certain max level of additives, and SL has higher levels. newer oils that say LL-98 do not mean they are not as good for the engine as LL-01, in fact the opposite is usually true, but they are worse for the emissions system.
    Thank you, I especially liked the comparison between the LL specs and the API classes. I think there is a Fuchs (supersynth SL) oil that is to LL-98 specs and it isn't synthetic so that makes sense(i don't think I will have to check my work got sent some fuchs catalogues and price sheets recently as they are trying to muscle in on castrol's business me thinks).
    also i sometimes wonder what the MB 229.1 specification is and whether it is a long drain interval spec.
    Last edited by rob101; 12-06-2006 at 12:33 AM.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    http://www.jeae.dk/BMW/Olier/Special%20oils.pdf

I just changed yesterday to Fuchs Titan Carat MC 10W40.
    Approved 'special oil' by BMW.

http://www.fuchs-oil.de/home_en.html?&no_cache=1
    Interesting that there is not a single Mobil 1 oil on that list !

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuk in Oz
    Interesting that there is not a single Mobil 1 oil on that list !
    there's maybe one us market oil on that list. bmw's house synthetic in the us isn't on that list either. if you look at the viscosity range "diagram" in any bmw manual, you'll see that "special oil" usually encompasses an unusual temperature spread as opposed to the generic grade recommendation. it doesn't mean that a specific brand is unsuitable in a (bmw) application.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

for what its worth the castrol 5w 30 i use is LL01 and at the dealer they refer toit as softec LL01.That info is good,it makes me even more happy that i run it for a measly 12000 ks...
    Gone but not forgotten

as long as its not the castrol edge slx 5W30 that is LL-04 you should be ok. the flash point is so low that it couldnt possibly be even synthetic blend. the LL-04 also has a TBN of 6, whereas TXT LL-01 has a TBN of 11.

the flashpoint is also low in comparison to most group 4 synthetics, but since its designed for fuel economy and long drain intervals vs performance, thats ok.

keep in mind though, that the flashpoint is actually HIGHER than silkolene Pro R 15W50 full synthetic racing oil! not too shabby eh.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

definetly the LL01 version
    Last edited by Paul in NZ; 12-06-2006 at 03:39 AM.
    Gone but not forgotten

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast