GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BMW approved oils

LL-01 is thats called an XODI oil, for extended oil drain interval. with mostly highway driving its rated for 30000K (more like 10000K for regular driving, we dont drive to work on the autobahn).
    OK, so let me make sure I understand. For normal US traffic speeds, driving to work everyday, temps from 0-100F, and just the very rare occasional foray into triple digits speeds, this is the oil to use.

Is 20,000 mi a reasonable interval?

Given this, exactly what brand and weight should I look for?
    1990 535i
    117,000mi
    Feederick, MD

If it has **** or tires, you are going to have problems.

The interval is calculated by the BMW computer and you will see the green lights in the check control.
    That depends on cold starts, driving distance and many other items the computer takes into consideration.

Brand is a kind of religion.
    Best is you use something which is approved by BMW, so no problem.
    I am just experimenting with the Fuchs Titan Oil as mentioned before, as I have read a lot of positive comments.

Default Special oils were the first listings for early synthetics, partial

synthetics and as you said unusual... That listing isn't really complete, it doesn't list the LL98 and LL01 approved oils. I posted these lists a long time ago. Here is the link for the LL01 listing which does have mobil one 0w40 on it.

I don't have time to reload the other tis right now that has this info on it, otherwise i would post all the oil charts, special,ll98,ll01 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    there's maybe one us market oil on that list. bmw's house synthetic in the us isn't on that list either. if you look at the viscosity range "diagram" in any bmw manual, you'll see that "special oil" usually encompasses an unusual temperature spread as opposed to the generic grade recommendation. it doesn't mean that a specific brand is unsuitable in a (bmw) application.

Default 20,000 is a reasonable interval if you want to motor to

be nice and sludged up. Whit posted photos awhile back of late model bmw engines that followed the maintenance reminder and what they looked like when the pulled the valve cover at 80 or 90k miles... Lotsa sludge on these 12 to 15k mile oil changes. I wouldn't go beyond about 7500 to 8000 miles on any oil

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne001
    OK, so let me make sure I understand. For normal US traffic speeds, driving to work everyday, temps from 0-100F, and just the very rare occasional foray into triple digits speeds, this is the oil to use.

Is 20,000 mi a reasonable interval?

Given this, exactly what brand and weight should I look for?

Airborne, grab some 0W40 (M1, lubro moly synthoil), 5W40 (castrol syntec, lubro moly synthoil, caterpillar deo, mutol 300V), 10W40 (amsoil amo), or 0W30 (castrol syntec made in germany). whichever one is easy to get, or cheap.

then at the 7500 mile mark, have some of the used oil analyzed to determine if you can run it for longer.

in order of personal preference, weighted against easy availability, i would go with M1 0W40, followed by Amsoil AMO, then Castrol 5W40. i wouldnt go over 7500 with the castrol though.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Thanks all
    1990 535i
    117,000mi
    Feederick, MD

If it has **** or tires, you are going to have problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12