GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picked up my new (to me) '89 525i

Default Picked up my new (to me) '89 525i

I've recently started posting here regularly, since finishing parting out Jason's old e34 M5 (thanks to Jon K.). I've had an assortment of cars, but decided I wanted an e34 for my new daily. Unfortunetly, I'm a bit picky when it comes to big things like interior/exterior/engine/transmission, but cosemetics, electrical, and small mechanical problems dont bother me what so ever. So the other night while browsing ebay I found an '89 525i that looked like it needed some minor work but was in fairly decent condition. It also happened to be black on black with a manual trans, exactly what I was looking for. So after a few email exchanges I bought the car with the Buy It Now option. Got a pretty good deal IMO, at $1540. I then set out on my usual lengthy and completely rushed road trip.

I left Rochester NY at 8am Monday morning, drove to Monroe CT, dropped off an Austin Healey 3000 transmission to be rebuilt (for my father), continued on to Bethel CT to do some 944 Turbo related business, continued to New Britain, CT to pick up the e34. I do not have ANY photos of loading the car, which is quite strange as I usually take my time, shoot photos etc while picking up a car... mostly because of the neighborhood, DAMN. I basically picked the car up from a corner store, it was unlocked, with the keys in it, and the title tucked under a visor. While loading the car on the trailer I got offered drugs 5 times, and propositioned once (no, I didnt take her up on it). I then continued to Hartford, where I spent the night in a pizza parlor with some friends drinking, carrying on, and going through entirely to much food. The next morning (today) I dropped off my 951 transaxle to be rebuilt up near Boston and started home. Of course, snow flurries everywhere (oh so fun when you're trailering!) but I dealt with it, and I'm finally home. Here's a few photos to tide you over for now, I'll take some more tomorrow.

On the way out. I love driving in snow, but not when I have a trailer with me.

Was such a crying shame I was in a jeep on these roads...

A bit dirty, but fairly nice overall. A few dents and dings, and it's missing a few trim pieces, and I'm pretty sure it needs a new fuel pump and filter. Nothing major really. It also came with a rieger rear window spoiler Should be a fairly nice daily with a bit of time put into it over the next week. I'm planning on also using it as my backup track car when the 951 is down. So I suspect it'll be getting springs, koni's, sways and brakes in the spring.

It looks very nice! Price seems weird.

I think you will find, especially after driving 951s, that you'll want a different engine. Even with the 5 speed.

Nice V1. How does the WJ pull that trailer?

Dont worry, I've got engine ideas, hell I have a spare S38 and M30 sitting in my garage right now

The Jeep does ok, it's definitely all about proper loading and tie downs to keep things stable. It'd be fine if I "rarely" used it to tow, but I do allll the time so it's become a bit tiresome. Which is why I'm planning on upgrading to an F350 Dually. (Turbo diesel of course )

Don't worry about Mike wanting a new engine.

Does anyone remember the pics we posted of a gutted M5 shell on a trailer on a bridge? Yeah that's mike.

Great, now I get to deal with you over here on .info too

Haha I can't wait - that S38 is going in and staying in the E34. With a booster.

Quote Originally Posted by MPD47
    Got a pretty good deal IMO, at $1540. I then set out on my usual lengthy and completely rushed road trip.
    So your who bet me out on that auction Looks great & Congrats
    1992 525i Touring M50 5spd Manual 230k+ miles - SOLD:-(

+

*whistles quietly in corner*

why does everyone want to force feed an S38, I dont get it.

btw I saw photos of your 951 on blowneuroz, fking hot.

Welcome aboard mike. I say you drop in the M30 (I've heard rumors that you dont even need to change the harness to put it in, but i don't know if this is true) and boost the hell out of it. Save the S38 for something really nice. I know a white E34 that would make a good home...

Sweet. I definitely need a flatbed trailer for similar activities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast