GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Replacing ENTIRE car door '92 520i

Default Replacing ENTIRE car door '92 520i

Has anyone every attempted to replace an entire door on a BMW? I'm finding a lot of information on removing the door panels, but nothing really on removing and replacing the actual door.

I put a nice dent (pretty much the entire door.......crunched) in my girl's front passenger side door this morning while I was backing out. Locks are still working but cosmetically it is going to need to be replaced.

I am in Italy and can easily get a replacement door on the cheap.......just wouldn't know where to start to replace it.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Easier than replacing door panels if the donor door has glass. Heavy, but simple to remove. I'll try to find a link for you, but search around and have a look in your manual (Bentley) if you have one.

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Here is what you can expect to find IF you buy yourself a Bentley manual. Hint, hint, hint.

Hint

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

There are about 5 junkyard warehouse's about the size of Super Wal-marts around this area so I'm sure I can find a door with the glass.......I don't have a manual.

Thank goodness Europeans like to wreck their cars!

I just went out and checked it in the daylight and it looks relatively easy to replace. Two hinges at the top and bottom, electrical connection I believe you have to get off by removing the door panel, and a single bar in the middle of the door that looks like it needs to be removed from under the door panel as well?

Original poster can't see the images, anyone else not seeing them? I'm pretty sure they're visible. Unless...........I took the cats medecine this morning . Is there something he can do to remedy this?

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Original poster can't see the images, anyone else not seeing them? I'm pretty sure they're visible. Unless...........I took the cats medecine this morning . Is there something he can do to remedy this?
    Hi Dave, I can see the pic, no problem. Maybe his hasn't ticked a hidden menu box somewhere on his browser.

Cheers,

Shaun

Thanks for confirming my sanity.

Aside: I'm waiting for a couple of relays to show up at the dealer, then the check valve will be shipped to me. Hope you're not in a HUGE hurry.

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

There are two different types of E34 doors, early and late, and they're not interchangeable. I don't know why they're not interchangeable -- I found out about this in reference to a 3.8 M5 that was brought to the US, sideswiped and rebuilt. In respect to that car, which I believe was a '94, it was determined that the earlier style door (which the body shop had used during repair) didn't sit flush or latch properly. Most aftermarket parts vendors will claim that one door fits all E34. I don't remember the cutoff date between new and old, so be sure to get something that's as close to the car's build date as possible. Beyond that, the door wiring harness is also different between early and post MY '92 cars, but seeing as you'll have to change the door lock assembly, you may be up for changing the harness as well (kind of a PITA job).

I dunno if this helps things along, but my doors have side impact bars built into them. My father-in-law's E34 was a 1992 model and had no bars in the doors.

HTH,

Shaun