GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: From 60mph to 0 in 10 seconds. WHY ?

Default From 60mph to 0 in 10 seconds. WHY ?

My 1990 535i has never caused me any trouble until the other night when without warning, it just cut out and has refused to start again. I had enough fuel, i heard no bangs or belts go, but it just rolled to a stop. I have changed the coil, fitted a new distributor cap, changed the coil lead, and changed the number 6 plug lead with the sensor wire and stilll have no change. I do get a spark though BUT only on cylinder 1. No spark from anywhere else. I used the plug from cylinder 1 for testing the rest as i know it is ok and sparking. I haven't changed the rotor arm but did clean the old one up as no obvious damage was seen on it anyway. Help and advice wanted ASAP please. Cheers.

Dead crank or cam sensor or if you have a distributor, I'm guessing pick-up coil.

Crank/cam sensor control spark timing and fuel injector timing. In the case of spark timing, its just like the pickup coil.

Pick-up coil in a distributor relies on a reluctor wheel to make an electrical pulse signal across the pickup coil reader. Without the signal, no coil firing into the distro. Since you have spark only on plug 1, its possible that could be what's going south on you.

Got a Check Engine Light on? You could stomp test it and get a code for the crank/cam sensors if they're at fault.

"Scarlet" `97 540/6 with sleepy mods.
    "Box Car" '87 535isA - Old School Charm, new school Flair

i just went through this, if you have an alarm/remote start system installed aftermarket. you might want to check that out
    1995 525i
    Clear Corners
    New Hellas
    BAVauto Performance ignition coils

sounds like the crank position sensor failed.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

I second the crank position sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeyesTx
    Dead crank or cam sensor or if you have a distributor, I'm guessing pick-up coil.

Crank/cam sensor control spark timing and fuel injector timing. In the case of spark timing, its just like the pickup coil.

Pick-up coil in a distributor relies on a reluctor wheel to make an electrical pulse signal across the pickup coil reader. Without the signal, no coil firing into the distro. Since you have spark only on plug 1, its possible that could be what's going south on you.

Got a Check Engine Light on? You could stomp test it and get a code for the crank/cam sensors if they're at fault.
    Are you saying that if i've got a distributor then i haven't got a crank or camshaft sensor ? I'm really confused now. Yes, i have got a distributor, with a new cap and rotor arm on top. Still nothing !!

Default Crankshaft position sensor

Quote Originally Posted by BlueM60
    I second the crank position sensor.
    Ok you win, coz nothing else is working. Where will i find this crankshaft position sensor on my auto 535i ? I've been told that it's a nightmare to get off and on again. As for any error messages from the computer, i get nothing. Tried taking off battery for an hour or so, and nothing changed. I'm going to buy a crankshaft sensor so would like advice on finding where on the car it is and fitting it.

try realoem

I think they call it the pulse generator. On my M5 its on the front of the block below the distributor

'90 E34 M5
    '89 E34 535i
    '74 R90S
    MB 560SEC
    '74 Jensen Interceptor
    '54++ VW Subaru Turbo hybrid
    etc

there is also a pulse generator in the ignition system right next to the distributor.

if you can see the crankshaft timing wheel on the front of the engine block, then you can find the timing sensor, as it sits pretty much right on top of the teeth.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue