GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT? Bimmers rock OR Not another road rage story.

Default OT? Bimmers rock OR Not another road rage story.

Somehow i ended up being very pleased by the actions of 2(!) other drivers recently.
    Like many of you, i ADORE on/off ramps. They present we enthusiasts with some of our greatest if fleeting driving pleasures.
    Even the straight ones, you know the kind....on ramp, uphill, flat concrete walls both sides. Redlining yer whip 2 possibly 3 times never sounds as good.
    This rapture is often spoilt by drivers not as enthusiastic about forward acceleration. Drivers so uninvolved that they become dangerous in fact; attempting to merge with traffic clipping along at 10-20mph over the posted limit at the 'suggested' speed for the ramp? Insanity. Heck it's rude to the highway traffic. I hate these people. They seem to forget the influence of gravity, a downhill ramp requires only the most modest of throttle applications to get up to speed. Uphill ya gotta give it the spurs.
    I have just such a ramp that i get to experience almost every other day.
    (Detail is included as locals will get additional perspective)
    Headed home from werk a week ago, early, little traffic. Carla, driver's t-top popped, tunes cranked. I take the NW Tollway into the Kennedy, head towards downtown Chi-town to Irving Park, turn around, get back on the other way, and finally head out on the Edens to Peterson. On a good day, it's the fastest route. Can make it home in under 25min.
    Comming down the off ramp i have the left lane to myself, right is moving along too, things are looking good. Turn the tunes off, rev match down into 3rd enjoying the low inertia of the sr20 engine and the aggressive yet refined noises of the mongrel HKS exhaust. Get closer, i have the light, the arrow and no cars from the other direction making the turn. Oh yeah, gonna be able to take the left at a nice clip *grin*. Late brake. hard on the beefy NX calipers squeezing MetalMasters, fade the pressure and start feeding in some steering. Hit the apex, brushing the centerline rumble strip, hard on the throttle, crossing under 14 lanes and a set of CTA tracks....yummy sounds abound. I have the light but not the arrow, two cars comming the other way have rights to the on ramp, turns blinking, my heart sinks as i slow. Almost stopped, grabbing 1st i fear the worst. They turn without bleeding off too much speed, things are looking up. And then.......i can barely keep up as both fly through the climing concrete ditch.
    Did i mention just how incredible this Nissan/Infinity 4 banger sounds between 6800-7700rpm, i may need to record an audio clip.
    I watch those other cars peel off west as i go north, thanking them silently for reminding me that not every other driver out there is doing anything else but.......driving.

The cars?
    A beige e39 followed by a black e36 sedan. *smirk*

”Hang up & Drive!"
    94 BMW 530iT&A 133K, ‘Helga’ ( for sale *sniff* )
    92 BMW 325i 135K, ‘Rolf’ ( he’s baaack *whoohoo* hers *sigh* )
    91 Volvo 745T 195K, ‘Thor’ ( 13 psi *smirk* )
    93 Datsun NX2000 175K ‘Carla’ ( alive & thumpin *uNfff!* )
    85 Toyoda MR2 125K ‘Jerry’ ( parked for winter *sad* )
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin.
    Kinda makes the ‘Patriot Act’ an oxymoron, eh.......
    Last edited by paul p (chi-town); 12-03-2006 at 02:55 PM.

I always drive with the pleasure of other drivers in mind. Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you,right?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by paul p (chi-town)
    Like many of you, i ADORE on/off ramps. They present we enthusiasts with some of our greatest if fleeting driving pleasures.

hahaha

I love on-ramps
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Quote Originally Posted by Fetch
    hahaha

I love on-ramps
    Ditto

I get so excited when I am not driving in rush hour and the metering lights are end of the ramp are off--especially early on a weekend morning. It it just such a rush to hit the end of the ramp at 70+ and merge into an open interstate.

Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Hey, does this link werk?

http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en...748&iwloc=addr

CRAP......hit 'refresh' once the page loads.

”Hang up & Drive!”
    Last edited by paul p (chi-town); 12-03-2006 at 09:21 PM.

linky works
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

This was my trip yesterday..I looped down toward Boston first and came back up via Hartford
    Saw one nice E34 ,think it was a 535, NY Plates ,white with tinted glass and some aftermarket sticker on the trunk lid.Looked like an older guy driving it, he didn't come after me when i flew by him on I95 near the CT RI border.TOTAL ESTIMATED TIME: 9 hours, 33 minutes | TOTAL DISTANCE: 490.03 miles

Last edited by Jehu; 12-03-2006 at 03:38 PM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

the worst is when people try to merge onto a highway... 30mph slower than everyone else!
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

The worst is when mexicans (note for the PC easily offended set, I mean MEXICANS ie those who reside in Mexico) are in front of you. I so love stomping the pedal to the floor double kickdown on the tranny as the M%) struggles to acccellerate the Touring to 70+ MPH from 35, and then Grabing a BIG footful of brake as the senor ahead of me decels to <50 because he sees another car hundreds of yards back on the interstate...

THAT gives me roadrage.
    Well that and their insistence on driving 55 in the fast lane and refusal to yield to overtaking traffic...

I always drive with the pleasure of other drivers in mind.
    I am most pleased when everyone else gets the hell out of my way.

Keep that in mind.
    1990 535i
    117,000mi
    Feederick, MD

If it has **** or tires, you are going to have problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast