GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tire Mushout.

Default New Tire Mushout.

So yesterday i had two Fuzion HRI 235/45/17's put on to match the same in front. I took a 500 mile drive today and my precision handling was gone. I had Fuzion Z rated 245/40/17's on the rear before but when i had the fronts replaced the shop said what i had on was outside BMW recommendations listed on the door pillar.They said the 235/45/17's were the "smallest" i should use.The thin rears i had on finally needed to be replaced they were really just about totally bald like F1 tires,lol. But i guess these sidewalls are flexing. I have the fronts full to 33psi and the rears 41 as recco'ed on the car. Is it really unsafe to run those 245/40/17's? I have 30 days to return the tires and there's no way i hell i can live with this soft, flexy, sloppy handling. Mucho over steer and like body flex i suppose I'd call it . like the tires and chassis go one way and me and the body twist another...
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Try lowering your rear pressure...I like mine set to 35psi cold all around. When you increased the rears to 41 you might have took grip away by decreasing the tire patch size. There's no way in hell I'd drive on mushy tires...just return them and be done with it.

What is your suspension setup?
    FS: PBR Deluxe rear brake pads [new]

Option 704 M SPORT SUSPENSION .This comes lowered with a bigger sway bars and is all original.I suppose some linkage and or bushings may have coincidentally failed while the tires were being put on but i am being facetious, it was immediately apparent after i drove off with the new ones on the rear. While the ride is quieter,softer when you get moving you;re swishing all over the place compared to what i had on before.BTW the reare pressure was 33 when i checked it after i noticed this muchy handling and i raised it to 41 per the reccomendations on the car.

For the past couple of decades the tire pressure recommendations on the sticker in the door jamb has been only the "fully loaded" specs. BMW doesn't trust anyone enough anymore to list the pressures by the load in the car so they use only the highest to avoid liability claims for tire and handling problems due to overloading the car without enough air in the tires.

I'm running 235/45x17 all around and have no handling problems. If you had the same brand on prior in the larger size, I'd go back to that. Tire Rack lists 255/40-17 as optional for the rear. BMW's recommendations are more for TUV compliance nonsense and if I lived by that I'd still have either 200/60x390 TRXs or 195/70x14s on my E28 535is.

Would the fact the rears i replaced were Z rated be a part of the reason for this condition or is it just the shorter wall?Reason being I live somewhere it normally snows over these months though none so far. I don't imagine wide Z rated rear tires will be much use in any snow.I'll let out some air first and see but the pressure was already at 33 when i first noticed this goofy floating.

try 38 rear 34 front.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

33/41 doesn't sound right.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Quote Originally Posted by Kalevera
    Wow.That's a revelation.That certainly sounds like it could very well be just what i was feeling.I put just about 500 miles on them today so with 30 days to try them out i should have plenty of time to see what I've got when they're broken in.Thanks very much.
    Last edited by Jehu; 12-03-2006 at 01:20 PM.

you wanna try mushy crappy feeling dangerous new tire feeling at it's best, try new skins on the back of a unloaded dually, i could saw the wheel and see a small puff of rubber dust as the assend mushed to one side, i would of done some doughnuts if i could of found a empty area to grind off some of the ********, with dual rear wheels the contact patch is so lightly loaded it's almost walking on it's toes till you wear down the roundness of the tread

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Wow.That's a revelation.That certainly sounds like it could very well be just what i was feeling.I put just about 500 miles on them today so with 30 days to tru them out i should have pleanty of time to see what i've got when they're broekn in.Thanks very much.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast