GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Transmission Gurus HELP!

Default Transmission Gurus HELP!

I am getting ready to do a transmission service on my '98 328is. Build date 1/98
    It has the A4S-270R, 4 speed automatic in it and is identified with the GREEN data plate.
    It's a GM hydramatic (built in France of all places).
    data on the plate as follows;
    96018422 SY
    F41-5360569

Casting number forward of the data plate is GM 96 017 506 11

MY DILEMMA;

According to the E36 Bentley manual the "green plate" trannys use the "lifetime fluid" and black plate use Dexron III (same as in the the E34 manual).

Then they follow with that statement with, the factory "may" have used the "other" fluid in some cases, leaving the green plate/black plate threory out the window.

To add to the conflict of identification, the Bentley manual directs me to a sticker on the sump pan for more "definative" information and reads as follows;

"WARNING, Permanent lifetime fluid blah blah blah, no need for periodic changes or topping off etc"...............BUT it's followed by, and I quote,
    "USE BMW OIL P/N 83229407858 or 83229407859 (DEXRON III)"

This transmission sounds like a plain old GM 200R4 that runs on DEXRON. Ironically this is the same trans they used in the 318i! (But not the 325)

I'm leaning toward following the sticker on the sump which would be the last and most recent form of identification during the build process at the factory..

Is there a guru on board that can steer me in the right direction?
    Thanks!
    DJ
    Last edited by Spasso; 12-02-2006 at 03:01 PM.
    Spasso
    530iT, 525 5-speed , 328is.

I'm no guru but know what trans you have. Dexron III is the fluid.
    Whoever first implied that any oil was "lifetime" ought to have a slow vascectomy with a rusty razor blade.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

BMW used a few different types of "lifetime" fluid, so the first step is determining which was used in the tranny. I used to have a list when i worked for the dealer but i think i left it in my desk when i quit. Call Bavarian Autosport, they can identify which fluid you take, which i believe for your car is made by shell and comes by the 5 liter container. They also sell it for much less then the dealer. I believe it runs 100-120 at bav for the bottle
    Too many cars that need work... Looking for a beater E32/E34/E36 to use while i finish a couple projects

Quote Originally Posted by Spasso

(A)PER THE MANUAL,
    "the factory "may" have used the "other" fluid in some cases", leaving the green plate/black plate threory out the window.

(B)THE STICKER ON THE SUMP,
    "WARNING, Permanent lifetime fluid blah blah blah, no need for periodic changes or topping off etc"...............BUT it's followed by, and I quote,
    "USE BMW OIL P/N 83229407858 or 83229407859 (DEXRON III)"
    So what I a getting out of this is
    (A) The factory wasn't consistant in which fluid was used for THIS particular transmission and
    (B) Per the sticker on the sump, IN THIS CASE, BMW is calling DEXRON III a "lifetime" fluid.

Good advice on making a few phone calls but I bet dollars to doughnuts that as soon as I mention a GREEN data plate they are going to say, "You need the Special Shell Fluid at 30.00 a quart", even though the WARNING sticker on the sump says DEXRON III

I would be inclined to go with the Shell fluid if the 5 speed automatic for my E34 IF it had a GREEN data plate because BMW is CONSISTANT in the recommendation from one model/type to the next for the E34, GREEN PLATE/BLACK PLATE.

Oh well, I guess it's time for some phone calls.

Thanks for the input everyone.
    DJ
    Last edited by Spasso; 12-02-2006 at 05:06 PM.
    Spasso

if it was mine id run a good dextron III maybe a synthetic like redline or royal purple, i put a little more stock in the special fluid ******** when it's in a newly designed tranny, and not in a design that's been in production for 5 or more years with good old off the shelf dextron III in many bmws plus the god knows how many other makes in one form or another
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thats the way I'm seeing it.

It's the same EXACT transmission as used in the 318i from '95 to '99 and I haven't read anywhere that they used the "magic", 100 bucks a quart Shell semi-synthetic in those.

I think I'll just go with the sticker on the sump of the trans that says DEXRON III
    Thanks, DJ
    Last edited by Spasso; 12-04-2006 at 12:56 AM.
    Spasso

thats my vote too, just change the filter and fluid that comes out and dont flush the whole f'king thing so you dont have failure.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Just orderd the trans kit plus all the parts and radiator for a complete cooling system rebuild.

Radiator, water pump/w metal impeller, T-stat, metal T-stat housing, idler pulleys, belts, hoses, temperature senders, trans kit, micro filter, oil filters, fan clutch removal tools, kitchen sink etc....................free shipping, all for less than 600.00

Everything is working fine except for cooler than normal operating temps which to me indicates a t-stat stuck open.
    No evidence of previous work done on the cooling system so I think I'll head off a future failure by going with all new parts.

The car just passed 100k so on the advice from those that have been there already, why not.
    Spasso