GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Windshield Wiper Blades/Inserts

Default Windshield Wiper Blades/Inserts

Over the past few months I have noticed how my wiper inserts are pretty much self destructing an have decided to finally pick up a pair of new ones. I checked realoem and got pn 61 61 8 217 711 for the insert but was curious if any local auto store would have what the correct insert. I would prefer not to go to the dealer for these since it isn' texactly just around the corner but it looks like I may have to. I did search through old posts but saw no mention of any other wiper blades that work. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-patrick

I went back to OE BMW wipers with inserts after my "parts store" wipers would chatter or break or just not do a good job. BTW, the new OE BMW inserts cost about $8 a pair and are easy to replace. This is a newer easier to use design. Remember our cars have different size wiper arms. I think the passenger side is longer??
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I just bought four of the "correct" inserts from my local dealer, according to the invoice. However, in comparing them to the ones I removed, the new ones are slightly larger in section than the old and were quite and effort to install in the blades. Anyone else experience this problem? These were not at fat as the known larger inserts from back when these cars used one fat and one thin (why, BMW??), but just slightly larger. Of course there's no way to tell if they were mis-shelved, or even mis-picked by BMW NA but they were sold as p/n 61 61 8 217 711.

I will check today. I have not installed the new ones yet. I do know the new inserts use a different metal rib design than the older inserts.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA1
    I just bought four of the "correct" inserts from my local dealer, according to the invoice. However, in comparing them to the ones I removed, the new ones are slightly larger in section than the old and were quite and effort to install in the blades. Anyone else experience this problem? These were not at fat as the known larger inserts from back when these cars used one fat and one thin (why, BMW??), but just slightly larger. Of course there's no way to tell if they were mis-shelved, or even mis-picked by BMW NA but they were sold as p/n 61 61 8 217 711.
    Yah, I had a problem along these lines as well. Got so fed up I just went out and bought some Bosch excel blades (whole blade w/ insert $11). However, I must say that even though it's Bosch, it hasn't held up as well... lots of chattering as of late after only 6 months.
    _

new inserts do not look any wider than the old inserts. My old inserts have been in for at least a year and still do a good job. I may change in about a month or just for good measure.
    Thanks,

im currently running Bosch microedge excels, for about 9 months, got em at autozone. no noise, although i rain-x my windshield.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Default bosch also, but not refills

i don;t know what these are called -- i got 'em from my indie friend here in NH -- they are a very sculptured looking blade with an airfoil on them. i believe he said bosch had iriginally developed them for mercedes? anyhow they are the bee's knees -- they track the curve of the windshield very well and i have to buy into the idea that the airfoil helps to keep the blades making good contact with the glass. also they have no exposed network of metal to catch ice, so in that sense they are a terrific winter blade.

bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kennett
    i don;t know what these are called -- i got 'em from my indie friend here in NH -- they are a very sculptured looking blade with an airfoil on them. i believe he said bosch had iriginally developed them for mercedes? anyhow they are the bee's knees -- they track the curve of the windshield very well and i have to buy into the idea that the airfoil helps to keep the blades making good contact with the glass. also they have no exposed network of metal to catch ice, so in that sense they are a terrific winter blade.

bruce
    Probably the Aerotwin, now standard equipment on most BMW and M-B products:
    or the Valeo Ultimate:
    currently on sale at Tire Rack, buy-one-get-one-free.

That would be the Bosch Icon as seen here

Autozone and checkers now carry them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Kennett

bruce