GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning euro ellipsoids... best procedure?

TC535i Guest

Default Cleaning euro ellipsoids... best procedure?

Gonna be swapping my euros from the white car to the blue car tomorrow. Any tips/tricks on cleaning them? I'm gonna pull it apart, clean the glass inside and out, clean the ellipsoid lens, and inside the reflector. Probably use windex and a terry towel.

Any suggestions?

i have heard a spell in the dishwasher will clean em up,or a mixture of dishwashing liquid and kerosene.dont touch the reflector with any kind of cloth or towel,you will scratch it.
    Gone but not forgotten

Default Tim, here is Max Fritter's page on it

Courtesy of Waybackmachine. He pulled his page a while back. The pics don't show up but the text gives you the general idea. I had saved the entire site somewhere on one of my hard drives but i can't find it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    Gonna be swapping my euros from the white car to the blue car tomorrow. Any tips/tricks on cleaning them? I'm gonna pull it apart, clean the glass inside and out, clean the ellipsoid lens, and inside the reflector. Probably use windex and a terry towel.

Any suggestions?

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    i have heard a spell in the dishwasher will clean em up,or a mixture of dishwashing liquid and kerosene.dont touch the reflector with any kind of cloth or towel,you will scratch it.
    I'm kind of afraid of losing the silver reflector, a bit wary of tossing it in the dishwasher. I'll use windex/paper towel on the glass bits, and water or rubbing alcohol (testing first) on the reflector with cotton balls or something.

I'll definitely take pics!

TC535i Guest

Gotta love that Wayback Machine! Thanks Bill! Nice to be under your tutilage again... I missed me some E34.

There is 3 screw that holds the fisheye lens assembly. It is a funny square shape head tho you if you get a correct size torx bit you can get it loose.

once you remove the assembly. you can remove the ellipsoid len and clean it. I wouldnt clean anything else. chrome coat on reflector will flake right of at any touch of it. The light blocker plate gets dull due to heat. will not get much better each if you clean it. Pretty much you can only clean is the ellipical lens.
    95 M-sport SOLD now NSX

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fkong777
    There is 3 screw that holds the fisheye lens assembly. It is a funny square shape head tho you if you get a correct size torx bit you can get it loose.

once you remove the assembly. you can remove the ellipsoid len and clean it. I wouldnt clean anything else. chrome coat on reflector will flake right of at any touch of it. The light blocker plate gets dull due to heat. will not get much better each if you clean it. Pretty much you can only clean is the ellipical lens.
    Wow... is the chrome THAT sensitive? Maybe I'll just lightly dust it off with dry cotton balls, didn't realize it was that bad!

Wow... is the chrome THAT sensitive? Maybe I'll just lightly dust it off with dry cotton balls, didn't realize it was that bad!
    Yep, just made that mistake trying to use a soft cotton cloth on one. The most i'd use is air or a pink featherduster

OOOopps. Luckily, I have a spare.

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M
    Yep, just made that mistake trying to use a soft cotton cloth on one. The most i'd use is air or a pink featherduster

OOOopps. Luckily, I have a spare.

Dave M
    Wait, wtf... I can't even DUST them, but throwing em in a dishwasher is okay??? Something's wrong here...

Wait, wtf... I can't even DUST them, but throwing em in a dishwasher is okay??? Something's wrong here...
    I wasn't pressing very hard, and just the fibers in the cloth I used were able to scratch the surface. I would rekon that even a cotton ball pressed hard enough would leave a mark. However, a wet noodle travelling 200 mph in the dishwasher may be OK??

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast