GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: spark plug gap?

Default spark plug gap?

Is it necessary to set a proper gap on the Bosch Super plugs for an M30? I read what the right gap setting should be for the M30, just wondering if the Bosch Supers I have are appropriate already. I don't have a gap tool on hand and just wanted to check first to seen if I will need to run out and get one before I put them in. I've only just started doing all the maintence stuff on the car myself as another family member used to take care of that when he drive it. Thanks!

Don't trust them out of the box even if they're labeled with a gap pre-set (if you buy them from BMW). Nearly every auto parts store sells the little wheel-type gauges at the checkout for about a buck. These are perfectly adequate for what you need.
    or this: I use something like this:
    Last edited by BMWCCA1; 11-30-2006 at 02:25 PM.

The progressive ramp type gauges as seen in the first pic are a joke. Don't bother gapping the plugs if your going to use one of those. The wire type seen in the second pic and simliar to this one made by bosch are the much better way to go. Also the m30 motor idles and runs better with the gap slightly larger than stock. .032 to .034 works best for most people .

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA1
    Don't trust them out of the box even if they're labeled with a gap pre-set (if you buy them from BMW). Nearly every auto parts store sells the little wheel-type gauges at the checkout for about a buck. These are perfectly adequate for what you need.
    or one of these:

I could only find the wheel type. Went to a couple foreign parts places, autozone and sears. Where did you guys get your 'wire' type tools.

got mine in the cheapie box at checkout.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnell944
    I could only find the wheel type. Went to a couple foreign parts places, autozone and sears. Where did you guys get your 'wire' type tools.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Trust me, both kinds work fine and are better than doing nothing. For the wire-type, if you can't find one at a NAPA store or an autoparts store, just flag down your local Snap-On truck or ask any shop when he comes by. They sell the round-wire type for a couple of bucks...and you can say you bought it from Snap-On.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    this one made by bosch
    I use that one myself - I agree it works great.
    1992 525i Touring M50 5spd Manual 230k+ miles - SOLD:-(