GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help Please - No Mileage Odometer & Trip Counter/Meter after repairs

Default Help Please - No Mileage Odometer & Trip Counter/Meter after repairs

I just had the camshaft seal and the oil pan gasket replaced. Now for some reason the mileage odometer and trip counter/meter is not moving. The mileage odometer remains at the same mileage. It does not increase as I drive. Also the trip counter/meter remains at all zeros. It also does not increase as I drive. I know the mechanic had to disconnect the transmission and some other parts to get to the camshaft seal. The mileage odometer and trip counter/meter were both working fine before this repair. I drove the car from the mechanic to my house which is a couple of miles away from my house. So I know the mileage odometer and trip counter should have moved. I also know the battery was disconnected because I had to reset the time.

I plan on taking the car back to the mechanic tomorrow after work to have him check it out but I was wondering if someone can shed some light on what is causing this issue until then.

Thanks!
    Last edited by realness; 11-28-2006 at 10:17 PM.
    Thanks!

89 BMW 525I

You dont mention if the speedo works, ie indicating the speed you are going - the mileage is calculated by the cluster unit via the speed signal

if you have no speed indicated then your diff speed sensor has not been reconnected

if you do have speed indicated then you have a fault with your instrument cluster

Quote Originally Posted by billy
    You dont mention if the speedo works, ie indicating the speed you are going - the mileage is calculated by the cluster unit via the speed signal

if you have no speed indicated then your diff speed sensor has not been reconnected

if you do have speed indicated then you have a fault with your instrument cluster

I know for a fact the speedo was working before these repairs. To be honest I don’t remember looking at the speedo when I was driving home. I am sure I would have noticed if it was working though. I do remember the RPM needle working fine. The thing is now I can’t even check speedo now because my car had a flat this morning, a big nail stick in the tire. So I drove my other car to work. I will let you know once I fix the flat after work.
    Thanks!

89 BMW 525I

Quote Originally Posted by realness
    I know for a fact the speedo was working before these repairs. To be honest I don’t remember looking at the speedo when I was driving home. I am sure I would have noticed if it was working though. I do remember the RPM needle working fine. The thing is now I can’t even check speedo now because my car had a flat this morning, a big nail stick in the tire. So I drove my other car to work. I will let you know once I fix the flat after work.
    rpm comes from a different source, where as the speed comes direct from a diff sensor which counts pules from a wheel in there, and absence of this pulse would ensure you dont clock up any more miles on your odometer
    Last edited by billy; 11-29-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by billy
    rpm comes from a different source, where as the speed comes direct from a diff sensor which counts pules from a wheel in there, and absence of this pulse would ensure you dont clock up any more miles on your odometer
    I just got my flat fixed and took the car for a drive the speedometer needle is not moving and the digital mileage meter (remains at the same mileage) and digital trip meter are not increasing (remains at all zeros). So I guess he did not reconnect the diff sensor as you mentioned. Can you tell me where this is located so I can reconnect myself?

Thanks
    Last edited by realness; 11-29-2006 at 09:57 PM.
    Thanks!

89 BMW 525I

Why should they have touched the differential for the wok done?
    Speed sensor is here
    http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...eed_sensor.htm

Maybe you had problems before? Then see here
    http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...capacitors.htm

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    Why should they have touched the differential for the wok done?
    Speed sensor is here
    http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...eed_sensor.htm

Maybe you had problems before? Then see here
    http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...capacitors.htm
    I don’t know why he would touch that differential sensor. I know the mechanic removed a lot of parts to get to the camshaft seal and the oil pan gasket. I checked up on him to see how things were going and he had a lot of parts removed, the transmission out, the muffler disconnected, the bar between the two front tires was disconnected. I am starting to get the feeling this guy is trying to get over on me. This is the first time this mechanic worked on my car. I will not be taking it back to him ever again. I have taken my car to this shop to do other work on my Beemer, but this guy is new and sloppy worker. I never had problems with my speedometer, mileage meter, or trip meter before these repairs. It worked perfectly.
    Thanks!

89 BMW 525I

Quote Originally Posted by realness
    I don’t know why he would touch that differential sensor. I know the mechanic removed a lot of parts to get to the camshaft seal and the oil pan gasket. I checked up on him to see how things were going and he had a lot of parts removed, the transmission out, the muffler disconnected, the bar between the two front tires was disconnected. I am starting to get the feeling this guy is trying to get over on me. This is the first time this mechanic worked on my car. I will not be taking it back to him ever again. I have taken my car to this shop to do other work on my Beemer, but this guy is new and sloppy worker. I never had problems with my speedometer, mileage meter, or trip meter before these repairs. It worked perfectly.
    its only a wire dude, chill out - it may even have been reconnected but the wire is corroded and just broke it with touching it - or it may be a coincidence that it has just gone faulty, these things happen

could be a coinsadance as my speedo is very intermitant, i dont really care but ive got the bloody wipers that stop when you stop
    yep you guessed it ive only got turbo wipers or intermitant now!
    mpg dial, computer and speedo not working, does now and again though, and really cant be arsed to fix it. just use a sat nav i do

If the wipers stop, that is a clear sign that the speed sensor on the differential is making the problem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast