GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: What should i ask the shop to look at?

Default What should i ask the shop to look at?

The car will be getting a new alternator tomorrow.While they have it i may as well have them check a few systems.Can they read the codes some way without deciphering the check engine light blinks?I'll ask them to do that anyway .I guess i should ask them to change the O2 sensors as they're probably original and if not at least 20 k on them in they were replaced right before i got it and there were no receipts for them among what i got.How about other important sensors.I assume if they can read the codes those issues will appear, are there any items that aren't going to return a code if they are bad?I should get an oil change too.What grade Lubro Molly should i ask for in the M60 with cold New England Winter coming?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

You should go here:

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/troubl...will_break.htm

to know what WILL break on your E34. If you haven't ever replaced it, then you know it's coming.
    1995 540i E34 Green V8 4.0L Auto Style 5's 200,000 KM's

if they have a code reader they can scan it and see if anything is stored in there. but have them look at engine and tranny mounts. Probly easier to do if they are taking the alternator out.

Default the loose nut behind the wheel

is the cause of many problems.

have them tighten it with this.
    http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=12

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

i would do the engine and trans mounts, new serpentine belt, and when thats off check the other items connected for play/siezing.

air intake temp sensor/gasket.

if you havent already, and you wanna get it over with, replace the power steering hoses. when they go its hell on earth to get em out and new ones on it.

thermostat, water pump, hoses, coolant bleed. only if needed.

steering box adjustment.

most of the other stuff i would say is either easy to do yourself, or hellish expensive.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by markus
    if they have a code reader they can scan it and see if anything is stored in there. but have them look at engine and tranny mounts. Probly easier to do if they are taking the alternator out.
    Thanks,This shop replaced a mount a few months ago and said the other one was fine at that time Tranny mounts sounds like a good idea .I do feel some clunking when shifting that may be more than i should.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Since the alternator is pretty easy and the flat rate time for it is less than 2 hours I would have them check the water pump and all the idler pulleys while the belt is off. Power steering hoses would be a good idea to check also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Thanks,This shop replaced a mount a few months ago and said the other one was fine at that time Tranny mounts sounds like a good idea .I do feel some clunking when shifting that may be more than i should.

have them clean the whitewalls and detail the trunk while there...

JK the other guys are dead nuts.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy