GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Think my Alternator croaked

Default Think my Alternator croaked

At some point tonight after driving all day i noticed the Battery Light was on solid.It so happens that the Parking break light was staying on too right after i forgot to release it when i started to drive off and that's how i noticed the battery light on too.It dims now after i lower the lever all the way but stays on and has done this after several times shutting off the ignition .

On to the Alternator. I stopped near my home to shop for a new battery for my remote unlocking key fob as the range is getting very short in which it will work and when i was parked i tried the Stomp Test this time getting it to work.It seemed to go on for ever and i couldn't figure out what it was telling me.It seemed to be giving the same 2.5 second on then a .05 flash then 2.5 off then 2.5 on etc i realize there are codes with up to 8 flashes but i missed the first few so i figured I'd try it again when i got home. I back the car into my parking space at home, shut off the car then realized the wheel was positioned poorly to read the dash so i went to start the car to turn the steering wheel and nothing. Ruugh ruuugh,click,click,dead... I've had an alternator go on other vehicles and that is what i remember happening basically. I haven't seen the alternator yet so while I'm looking at Bruno's site for the How to,am i going to find this beyond my beginner's ability? ugh. my Van won't start either..
    Last edited by Jehu; 11-28-2006 at 01:10 AM.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

changing out an alternator isnt that bad.

I think there was a step by step process of it with pics in that 1,300 pgs .pdf file that someone on BF posted, when I get home i'll look n link it to you.

Thanks a mil I was just checking Bruno's site and Roadlfy's E34 board so far only real info was yeaofang saying its a hard job on the 530 and 540...

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    At some point tonight after driving all day i noticed the Battery Light was on solid.It so happens that the Parking break light was staying on too right after i forgot to release it when i started to drive off and that's how i noticed the battery light on too.It dims now after i lower the lever all the way but stays on and has done this after several times shutting off the ignition .On to the Alternator. I stopped near my home to shop for a new battery for my remote unlocking key fob as the range is getting very short in which it will work and when i was parked i tried the Stomp Test this time getting it to work.It seemed to go on for ever and i couldn't figure out what it was telling me.It seemed to be giving the same 2.5 second on then a .05 flash then 2.5 off then 2.5 on etc i realize there are codes with up to 8 flashes but i missed the first few so i figured I'd try it again when i got home. I back the car into my parking space at home, shut off the car then realized the wheel was positioned poorly to read the dash so i went to start the car to turn the steering wheel and nothing. Ruugh ruuugh,click,click,dead... I've had an alternator go on other vehicles and that is what i remember happening basically. I haven't seen the alternator yet so while I'm looking at Bruno's site for the How to,am i going to find this beyond my beginner's ability? ugh. my Van won't start either..
    Hey Jehu, it's too hard reading your posts mate! Solid blocks of text, no paragraphs... anyway-

A blown alternator is kind of common after having drived BMW at above normal revs, they almost always take a crap when exposed to speeds even just a little above the nornal range, it might be a delayed effect from before.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Its the stress,mate.I am stranded at home essentially.Of course i can rent a car but its just a case of hemorrhaging money again and i just got the gusher plugged.
    I have a musical mind,i think in terms of improvisational jazz.Think, Grateful Dead circa 1972 ,Jam in Playin' in the Band>The Other One>Goin'Down the Road Feelin' Bad>Sugar Magnolia on a 1000 µg of Albert Hofmann's 'Problem Child'.
    I'm playing Beat the Clock since I work as a Contractor for a living and if i am not working I am not earning.At least I'm using the spell checker..

Last edited by Jehu; 11-27-2006 at 11:03 PM.

Your car has been hitting you hard recently :/

Get 'er fixed up
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Quote Originally Posted by Fetch
    Your car has been hitting you hard recently :/

Get 'er fixed up
    its a few hundred short of 150,000 miles and has run trouble free the past six months/20,000 miles.That is to say nothing till now has disabled me.If with tools i can buy at any hardware or auto parts store, clear comprehensible instructions and armload's of patience i or any other halfwit can manage to access, remove and replace the alternator the only problem remaining is where to buy or to send mine off to be rebuilt and if so where. i guess i should herein ask for suggestions for that end of the job,remembering i am in the Northeast USA so suggesting Fair Dinkum's Billabong and Bimmer Rehab Depot while appreciated might be untenable.

wow, 20,000 miles in 6 months? I wish I did that much driving, that'd be cool.

If you've only had basic maintenance to do over those 20k miles then that sounds pretty good.
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

getting to an M60 alternator totally sucks. your voltage regulator bushings probably dissapeared, so all you need to do is remove the air cap and change it out..... but the way it looks in my car i would have to remove the engine to do that!
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    getting to an M60 alternator totally sucks. your voltage regulator bushings probably dissapeared, so all you need to do is remove the air cap and change it out..... but the way it looks in my car i would have to remove the engine to do that!
    Surely you exagerate. I've found the haynes manual and elsewhere i've read the fan shroud,fan need to be removed and oil filter housing moved the haynes says possibly the air box and air flow meter.To me even with no actual experience that doesn't sound like more than i can manage.The haynes manual there gives the details to test the system as well before i run off and buy a new alternator which by the way now that you mention the Voltage regulator i don't know if the refurbished alts come with a new voltage regulator or if i have to either,assuming the old one was good, resue or will i need to buy one , assuming its bad, if i end up needing the whole alternator.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast