GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worn key? Worn locks?

Default Worn key? Worn locks?

greetings all,

my touring key has no probs in the ignition, but in both doors and in the tailgate, whenever i put it in i have to wiggle it back and forth a few times before it will rotate L or R. does this mean all three of those locks are worn? or is it more likely that i need a new key and the ignition lock is simply more forgiving of the worn key?

i live far away from any dealers. if i need a new key made from numerical specs where can i get one? and would i find those specs anywhere in the owner's manual, etc.?

bruce

TC535i Guest

Same thing here. I think it's a combo of both. Drivers door I can lock without too much jiggling, but doesn't want to unlock at all. Pass side... complete opposite. Driver side, gotta put the key in so the "buttons" face forward... pass side doesn't matter.

Gotta get this keyless entry figured out...

I will watch this space. Funny thing with mine is that it is climate-dependent. When it gets cold, the locks don't want to turn in the driver's door. I think the lock is wearing out, as I have 2 brand new from Germany keys I ordered 6 months ago, and using that key or the worn out older one makes no difference.

Warm [greater than 40-45deg ] no issues...colder than that and I start getting hang ups in the driver's door...oh well, the trunk lock still works fine...

Quote Originally Posted by VentoGT
    I will watch this space. Funny thing with mine is that it is climate-dependent. When it gets cold, the locks don't want to turn in the driver's door. I think the lock is wearing out, as I have 2 brand new from Germany keys I ordered 6 months ago, and using that key or the worn out older one makes no difference.

Warm [greater than 40-45deg ] no issues...colder than that and I start getting hang ups in the driver's door...oh well, the trunk lock still works fine...
    Exactly the same boat as you... No matter how much grease crap you put in it still stays like that, feels like you're trying to lift a 40 pound weight twisting the key, I already cracked half of it...
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

Dealers can make a key with your VIN. Proper proof of ownership required of course. A fresh key and lubrication even with worn locks is a big improvement.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

This happens to my locks every so often. I flush the lock with WD40. It's a lousy lubricant, but it's a great solvent for loosening the debris that seems to accumulate.

Paul Shovestul
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    Same thing here. I think it's a combo of both. Drivers door I can lock without too much jiggling, but doesn't want to unlock at all. Pass side... complete opposite. Driver side, gotta put the key in so the "buttons" face forward... pass side doesn't matter.

Gotta get this keyless entry figured out...

Mine is quaerky like that. Not all the time, just every once in awhile. Sometimes I flip the key so the button is forward also. That seems to solve the sticking. Wierd...
    Who say's Aliens only abduct people?

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    This happens to my locks every so often. I flush the lock with WD40. It's a lousy lubricant, but it's a great solvent for loosening the debris that seems to accumulate.

Paul Shovestul
    Does that get the window greasy or anything? Just hold the "flap" open and fire a couple quick blasts in there, or what?

Default graphite is better

I have read that wd40 can harm lock cylinders and that graphite is better.
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

Quote Originally Posted by brick8
    I have read that wd40 can harm lock cylinders and that graphite is better.
    word.
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast