GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: rearview mirror

Default rearview mirror

hit my rearview mirror this morning and it broke away from the screen.its just hanging there by the wires.

tried sum 5 minute hduty contact but didn't do it

can someone give us an idea on how to fix

Try a windshield repair shop. They have glue made for the purpose.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVoorhis
    Try a windshield repair shop. They have glue made for the purpose.
    So does any Wal*Mart or auto-parts store, for a couple of bucks. You'll need to pop the part that attaches to the glass out of the mirror and glue it to the windshield, letting it dry the proscribed amount of time, before snapping the mirror back on the mount. Draw the location for it on the outside of the glass with a marking pen so you get it in the right spot (I've seen many of them installed too low) and then clean the glass thoroughly before using the glue. I'm guessing you have a non-BMW-OE windshield in the car which usually means the glass shop reused the mounting base and glued it to the after-market windshield. I've never seen an OE mount come loose and they come mounted on the BMW-OE replacement glass. Just curious if that's the case in your situation. Good luck.

I will keep this in mind next time i decide to use my mirror as a speedbag.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

thanks tried the five minute araldite but mirror was to heavy for it to set windscreen guy had glue that set like a rock in about 1 minute and only charged 10 dollars.

however as soon as we unpluged it the alarm went off and we couldn't stop it until we reconnected

Just in case others attempting to learn from this thread miss the point, allow me to repeat myself:
    You'll need to pop the part that attaches to the glass out of the mirror and glue it to the windshield, letting it dry the proscribed amount of time, before snapping the mirror back on the mount.
    I have no idea what "araldite" is but for about $2 you can by a kit of cleaner and adhesive specifically for glass-mounted rear-view mirrors in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA1
    (I've seen many of them installed too low)
    Conversely, I had a car on which the rear-view mirror had been installed too high. As a result it interfered with the sun visors as they were lowered. Just another point for a DIY-er to be aware of.