GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: how the hell do u get the drivers side motor mount nut on?

Default how the hell do u get the drivers side motor mount nut on?

well almost done with my new tranny and engine mounts. what a terrible pain in the ass this has been. 2 days already and still not done. I guess its probly because I started late but anyway i have the new engine mount in place but the nut doesnt want to thread on. what is going on here?whats the trick to getting the nut back on? the only thing i can think of is loosening the 4 tranny mounts and the 2 nuts on the passenger side mount and rotating the drivers mount to allow access to the top. also are the nuts for the enigne mounts M10 or M8 nuts? I remember I had to get one from advance auto because I lost one for the M3. The threads are a bit looser but they did the trick and even have the nylon on the top.

Mate I have been away so im sorry i couldnt get back to you sooner. is this a left hand drive or right? Tranny should be done up, has mount be positioned correctly? this can be a bitch if not. If i remeber correctly i tighterned all mounts to engine first then lowered into body points. http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=13456

couple feet of extension with a wobble socket and put a piece of paper towel over the nut before sticking it into the socket to keep the nut in the socket
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

if it is the right hand side mount i recall that to make it easier we started the nut off while the engine was up and spun the mount to tighten as much as possible. this allowed us to place the 17 special; in there and merely hold it in place rather than having to turn it. then we lowered the whole lot. left side was pretty much the same but i remember having to remove the palstic duct to the alt ton get enough room to work in.

i have a 24 inch extention and a universal and it still doesnt want to thread on. The car would be done if it wasnt for this.

markus, can you still get under there and release the mount and start again. i know its a fuk but maybe will work. release the right mount from the bottom bolt and fix the nut at the top of the mount by threading the nut first to make sure its gonna go on. Then fix the nut on from the top and wind the mount on from the bottom to secure the nut. tighten with the 17 special allready applied. then lower and secure the bottom nuts (13mm). I know it seems the long way but going back to the start is the way to go in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by markus
    i have a 24 inch extention and a universal and it still doesnt want to thread on. The car would be done if it wasnt for this.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

the hold the nut and spin the mount trick worked! thanks mattyb.