GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: radiator fan always on

Default radiator fan always on

I noticed the radiator fan turns on as soon as I start the car. It happens everytime. Even when the engine is still cold in the morning. Outside air temp was around 64F (17C) and the temp gauge is at blue mark.

Shouldn't the fan only turns on when the engine gets hot?
    Faulty themostat?
    Last edited by bigtisas; 11-26-2006 at 04:20 PM.
    (SOLD) 92 525ia M50 | NGK plug | JVC AR560 | EAT chip | California

Do you mean the aux fan?

The mechanical drive fan will always be "on" obviously - not to say you didn't know that.

The aux fan turns on with AC and hot temps. Could be your sensor or resistor bad.

I'd suspect a defective sensor on the right-hand side of the radiator or a stuck relay. Check the sensor by unplugging it. The fan should stop. If it doesn't, try unplugging the relays one at a time in the auxiliary relay box in front of the fuse box. If that stops it, you've got a bad relay.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Thanks. I'll check the sensor and the relay.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtisas
    I noticed the radiator fan turns on as soon as I start the car. It happens everytime. Even when the engine is still cold in the morning. Outside air temp was around 64F (17C) and the temp gauge is at blue mark.

Faulty themostat?
    Try pulling the relay and do a continuity check through the usual 30/87 contacts. There should be none. They often stick due to overamperage.
    Colin

Now i understand why my car takes so long to warm up the engine. It's because the fan (I believe the aux fan) is always on. It typically takes 10 mins to just pass the blue mark on the temp gauge.

the aux fan will run on low whenever the ac switch is on regardless if the engine is running or if the ac works, you can test for the sensor by just unplugging it plug's brittle don't manhandle it) theres two relays a high and low speed in the smaller box on the left fender well forward of the fusebox, i can't remember the positions but theres only 2-3 relays in that box, try smacking them first then you can unplug them one at a time till you find the offending relay that shuts the fan down, then switch it with another relay that has the same pins from the car and see if the fan still runs
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default That may be the Tstat

failing, it should warm up pretty much the same regardless of the fans.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Default I had that happen once too...

Quote Originally Posted by bigtisas

Faulty themostat?
    Hi,

I checked the schematics and concluded that it was a faulty high/low pressure switch on the A/C system (located just under the windshield washer fluid reservoir). In other words, disconnecting the switch solved the problem. I bought a new one from BMA, pulled the R12, popped the new one in, recharged the system and all's well.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Adnan

I checked Bentley. I was referring to the mechanic fan (the fan between radiator and engine), not the aux fan. Sorry for the confusion.

But how come the mechanic fan always on? In my old car (an Acura Integra), the fan only comes on when the engine is hot. And it stays on after ignition is off if the engine is still hot. The e34 mechanic fan seems like "attached" to the ignition regardless of the engine temp. ???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast