GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Help!!! I Broke It!!

materiamage Guest

Default Help!!! I Broke It!!

Ok, please don't be too rough on me here, I'm already bummed out enough as it is.
    Here is the Problem:

About an hour ago I was TRYING to install the Z3 short shift kit that i got from BMA. And to make a long story short, while trying to fit the "ball" of the shifter into the cup, I SNAPPED the rear pin on the shift lever/selecor rod.

I have no clue what the part number is, realoem didnt have it, BMA doesnt eiter. I am at my grandparents house 2 hours away from my home. What do you think I should do? Or better yet how should I do it. I have to figure something out i have to work tomorrow!

Here are the pictures of what I am speaking of. The arm I am speaking about is #1 in the RealOEM diagram.

By the way the "BALL" on the new shifter was unbelievably tight, so much that I could not seat it in the cup, hence the breaking of the rod when I pushed down with all of my might.
    here is a picture of the new shifter VS the old one:

If any body knows the part number for this rod/selector PLEASE let me know. I would also be willing to purchase from a member if need be. Thank you very much in advance for any and all help.
    ~Robert
    Last edited by materiamage; 11-26-2006 at 03:03 AM.

Robert,

25 11 1 221 202 @ around $30. This part is called the shift console.

It will be necessary to remove the so called bitch clip (#3 in your pic) to get the shift console out. It's quite difficult, but not impossible, to undo without lowering the back half of the transmission. Use a small flat head screwdriver, leveraged against the side (there's a metal tab on the side of the clip that holds it into place -- lifting straight up on the clip will bend or break that tab) to pop the clip up and out.

Now that the console is broken, you'll also want to replace the bushing, part number 25 11 1 222 039 (#2 in the pic), at around $20. Because the console broke, the rear bushing (#4) may be damaged -- if it is, the shifter height will lessen in the car and shifting will be sloppy. #4 is #25 11 1 220 707 (around $20).

You might consider buying the console used, but the bushings should be purchased new. I know they're a bit of money, especially considering the ~ $30 cost of the Z3 shifter, but you'll be glad that they were replaced when everything was apart (versus later, when everything's back together). Use a bit of Molybdenum grease on the contact points when putting it all back together. Good luck!

Did you remove #7 to install it on the bench and push the assembly in? It should fit snuggly into the cup and then you rotate the assembly to snap in place.

Last edited by yaofeng; 11-26-2006 at 07:42 AM.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

materiamage Guest

I appreciate the help more than you know...... you are both godsends.
    The part numbers were unbelievably helpful thank you VERY VERY much.

In hindsight I think I was in to much of a panic to slow down a bit and think clearly.
    Either way,
    Thank you lowell. Thank you yaofeng.

~Robert