GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Anyone paid to have AC retrofitted for R134 freon?

Default Anyone paid to have AC retrofitted for R134 freon?

If so, how much did it end up costing you? I have to have it done to get my AC fixed.

90' 525i 105K

Default No, but I may in the near future because...

The compressor in my 1990 3225is has started making a violent vibration (although it still blows cold.) Probably bad clutch bearing on bad compressor bearing. Because of the high and rising cost of R12, I may opt to get a new compressor of the R134 type, and replace other parts as needed.

AS far as I know, I still have the option to replace the compressor with a new R12 type, if i don't mind spending a lot on freon, now and in the future.

There is a guy who'll rebuild BMW compressors for a good price, but I don't know how reliable he is. He also provides instructions for overhauling the system (suggested for cars this old.). I shied away from him because he is too dificult to contact by email and phone, and is not particularly business-like in his behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Abnormal
    If so, how much did it end up costing you? I have to have it done to get my AC fixed.

90' 525i 105K

Default r12 is still around.... Warren, checker is having a sale on it right now for the

commercial accounts.. 20 a can. 12 ounce can. Or i would think about one of the drop in substitutes such as freeze 12, its around 9.99 a can and still cools much better in a bmw than the 134 conversions do, at least here with the high ambients. Plus the drop ins will still work fine with your existing expansion valve and condensor..

Quote Originally Posted by Warren N.CA
    The compressor in my 1990 3225is has started making a violent vibration (although it still blows cold.) Probably bad clutch bearing on bad compressor bearing. Because of the high and rising cost of R12, I may opt to get a new compressor of the R134 type, and replace other parts as needed.

AS far as I know, I still have the option to replace the compressor with a new R12 type, if i don't mind spending a lot on freon, now and in the future.

There is a guy who'll rebuild BMW compressors for a good price, but I don't know how reliable he is. He also provides instructions for overhauling the system (suggested for cars this old.). I shied away from him because he is too dificult to contact by email and phone, and is not particularly business-like in his behavior.

Default That's good to know, Bill. Here's my dilema...

Probably I need a new compressor because of the bearing. Even at a discount, this is an expensive part ($650?). When my indy checked the car out two years ago, they found the freon down almost 50%, and they simply topped it up. I'm concerned that if I patch it up with a new compressor, I may need other repairs to the system before long, and by that time R12 might be a lot higher than now. But I was unaware of "drop-in" replacements for R12. DO you expect these to be available on an ongoing basis? It doen't get really hot or humid here very often, so R134 might be OK for my cooling needs. But who wants to convert if there's an ongoing drop-in replacement?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    commercial accounts.. 20 a can. 12 ounce can. Or i would think about one of the drop in substitutes such as freeze 12, its around 9.99 a can and still cools much better in a bmw than the 134 conversions do, at least here with the high ambients. Plus the drop ins will still work fine with your existing expansion valve and condensor..

Default Bill, thanks for the info on freeze 12. That was my next question.

I can get the whole kit off of ebay for under $40. It comes with a leak detector and sealer. Have you used the sealer before? How hard is it to recharge the system?

If you have to replace your compressor, then get R134 put in.

the problem with sealers is for those of us with $3+ grand worth of recycling machine and having it clog up, it hasn't happined to us yet but i am hearing about it

Quote Originally Posted by Abnormal
    I can get the whole kit off of ebay for under $40. It comes with a leak detector and sealer. Have you used the sealer before? How hard is it to recharge the system?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Did this for my '92 prelude about 3 years ago. Like you my compresser was shot ($650 is about right for a Nippon replacement too) At my not too cheap Honda indy the grand total was about $1,100. Cooled really well after that, but that was a really small car...

Unregistered Guest

Haven't done it on the E34, but I did convert my old '93 GMC Sierra using one of those $35 kits from Discount auto parts. I have no doubt I broke all the rules regarding freon conversion as I just added the valve adapters and charged up with the 134. Lots of people swore the system woud be damaged as I didn't change the compressor or seals, but it blew cold right up to the day I sold it, 2.5 years after I did the conversion.

Retrofit to R-134 is not a difficult job. The process involves:

1) purging the system of R-12
    2) replacing the shrader valves so that system will accept R-134
    3) replacing receiver-drier
    4) replacing any seals that are leaking
    5) recharging system with r-134.

I had a shop purge and recharge the system for me. They charged me
    about $75.00. Indy

I changed, valves receiver/drier and seals myself (parts were about $100)
    I got new receiver drier from http://www.cybertroll.com
    BMA has them also.