GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of the "Shogun" computer reset techniques?

Default Anyone heard of the "Shogun" computer reset techniques?

Procedure:

Following is a procedure, entitled "shogun", for resetting the computers on a M70 engine. However, the posting on Roadfly stated it would work with any BMW including the e34. Supposed to clear out the adapative memory and allow relearning (or similar) for all the various vehicle computers??

Somehow this seems risky. Would it benefit our cars, especially the 525i 4 speed auto without an adaptive transmission?

1. disconnect battery cables, first -, then +
    2. turn ignition on position II
    3. connect both battery cables ("short") for at least 10 minutes for drain of remaining power out of the system
    4. ignition off
    5. connect battery cables again to battery, first +, then -

Job done.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Russell,

Thats just Shogun from the e32 roadfly board... It won't hurt to do it but it won't work any better than disconnecting the battery cables and leaving them unhooked for awhile... Touching them together just discharges any capacitors in the system such as the ones in the dash cluster allowing the memory to clear faster...Its not going to be the wonderful cure all ... the adaptive memory on our cars isn't that adaptive. it only corrects within a fairly narrow range.. I suspect its more of a placebo effect. but it won't hurt anything anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    Procedure:

Following is a procedure, entitled "shogun", for resetting the computers on a M70 engine. However, the posting on Roadfly stated it would work with any BMW including the e34. Supposed to clear out the adapative memory and allow relearning (or similar) for all the various vehicle computers??

Somehow this seems risky. Would it benefit our cars, especially the 525i 4 speed auto without an adaptive transmission?

1. disconnect battery cables, first -, then +
    2. turn ignition on position II
    3. connect both battery cables ("short") for at least 10 minutes for drain of remaining power out of the system
    4. ignition off
    5. connect battery cables again to battery, first +, then -

Job done.

Default Thanks & observation. Bill-you are the man!

I just wondered if it would "reset" the computers to baseline and then the car can "fully adapt" to the way I drive and not the way the previous owner (his wife's car) drove it.

I guess I wonder if the PO's "soul" is in the electronics -. I have owned the car a little over a year and have wondered about the adaptive capabilities. For example, how how will it take to adapt to a new driver? I may try this for fun.

A reboot sure works well on my older PC base computers. We have 4 in our household of various ages.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    Russell,

Thats just Shogun from the e32 roadfly board... It won't hurt to do it but it won't work any better than disconnecting the battery cables and leaving them unhooked for awhile... Touching them together just discharges any capacitors in the system such as the ones in the dash cluster allowing the memory to clear faster...Its not going to be the wonderful cure all ... the adaptive memory on our cars isn't that adaptive. it only corrects within a fairly narrow range.. I suspect its more of a placebo effect. but it won't hurt anything anyway.
    Last edited by Russell; 04-18-2004 at 03:33 PM. Reason: typos
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Johntee540 Guest

Default I cant believe how much of a difference it made!

Shades of Windows Blue Screen of death! Every e34 owner should immediately Ctrl-Alt-Del their ECU for an amazing difference.

My car was sluggish with un predictable shift points and erratic shifting before I did the procedure. The 540 was new to me this October and I thought it had all sorts of problems. I was considering replacing the tranny all sorts of other repairs. After resetting the ECU - The idle smoothed out. I am getting 19-20 mpg around town and the tranny has learned new shift points that are compatible to my driving.

I feel like its a completely new car. Wow! - Johntee540

hehe, I was just searching for some technical stuff written by Bill R.
    and this old thing pops up.

And and that time a young and unexperienced Johntee540 was very happy

Shift points are the biggest thing, really. IMO
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

I found a bit of a difference, fixes problems within limits. If you have a bad sensor it wont fix it but will give you a difft running car for a few. The reboot is about the most noticable thing I have done on a regular basis, try it.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Going to try this when I get home. It won't fix my cooling problem. But might sort out idling issue and shifting issue.
    Car: BMW 525iA.
    Engine: M20.
    Trans: Auto.
    Year: 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    I found a bit of a difference, fixes problems within limits. If you have a bad sensor it wont fix it but will give you a difft running car for a few. The reboot is about the most noticable thing I have done on a regular basis, try it.
    I get the impression it does more for autos than manuals.

"I'm not the village idiot.
    But when he retires I'm next on the list."

it worked wonders on my 89 535im idle smoothed out and lots of power was returned. Plus I was getting about 18.5 average now I'm averaging 19.5-20mpg because I don't have to use nearly as much throttle to move.
    Also worked wonders on my 535ia a while back.

89 535i/5
    90 535ia 158k
    90 Infiniti Q45 (sold)
    91 Sho (sold)
    94 530i/5 (sold)
    95 855 T5 @15psi boost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast