GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little inside the S38

Default Little inside the S38

Recent valve adjustment for the M5 before departing to the Chicagoland area to catch up with Scott H., Brandon J., Dave R., Kris DV M5, Ross and Paul....we had a great time changing out subframe bushings in a few cars and later changed the clutch in Kris' M5 along with a stubborn worn center bearing.

Pictured are all 24 valves, each valve disc has to be removed from each valve and measured with a micrometer and recorded. That's after tappet clearances are measured with a feeler gauge to determine which valves are out of spec. The ones that are out of spec are ordered according to the measurements of the clearance and the existing disc dimensions. Then the whole process is repeated for installation of the new valve discs in order to maintain the proper clearances.

Are you sure you still want an M5?

JR

thats the way they do it on some motorcycles, total PITA.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

same process on sohc volvos and the old jag I6 plus many others those are the ones i've done, minor-medium pain in the ass with the plus side being they don't need adjusting more then a couple times in their life unless some other work
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Yep, my 02 ZX-6R was that way. Fun fun! The trick is to know a mechanic who will swap shims with you.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    same process on sohc volvos and the old jag I6 plus many others those are the ones i've done, minor-medium pain in the ass with the plus side being they don't need adjusting more then a couple times in their life unless some other work
    The S38 only requires checking the valve clearances every 15000 miles. Most of the time only 2 or 3 are out of spec and have to be changed.

As you say, ANYTIME the engine has been taken apart for whatever reason they have to be checked. This M5 had been owned by a doctor and had the head removed to fix an oil leak...(service records indicate a leaking head gasket)...at 86k miles, nontheless, I checked valve clearances just to be sure after I bought it and they were all almost identical across the board. This accomplished two things, one was to check what the current clearances were, and two was checking the work of the shop that did the work and confirmed my beliefs in that particular shop. If I wasn't able to perform my own work or needed assistance in determining a problem, I would know where to turn. Sometimes it pays to check the pros.

i have a guy trying to sell me a complete "built" driveline out of a m6 but it's a little outta my price range, i found out about this goober that wanted to pull the running driveline out of his m6 for a small block chevy i shot a what ya want through my favorite upholstery guy that knows him, he fired back $8k **** he knows what it's worth couple weeks later i get a call $6K for every speck of it and i get to pull it, i fire back i just bought a new lab scope and am broke at the moment, so ill see if he drops the price again not that i can afford it but that m88-2 would sure be sweet in the e30

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

You'll need a set of wings winfred.......maybe some landing gear too.

they are sitting in the corner at the shop awaiting me to find time to install, m-coupe suspension and brakes, i can't wait to feel the brakes those things are huge

You'll need a set of wings winfred.......maybe some landing gear too.

It's relative winfred, you'll expect big biting braking power but it won't come on until illegal speeds are attained and you press the big pedal just a little harder......then the big un's start their job and scrub off speed in a heartbeat. Just when you need it....amazing!

Recent valve adjustment for the M5 before departing to the Chicagoland area to catch up with Scott H., Brandon J., Dave R., Kris DV M5, Ross and Paul....we had a great time changing out subframe bushings in a few cars and later changed the clutch in Kris' M5 along with a stubborn worn center bearing.

Pictured are all 24 valves, each valve disc has to be removed from each valve and measured with a micrometer and recorded. That's after tappet clearances are measured with a feeler gauge to determine which valves are out of spec. The ones that are out of spec are ordered according to the measurements of the clearance and the existing disc dimensions. Then the whole process is repeated for installation of the new valve discs in order to maintain the proper clearances.

JR

I think the doctor could operate in that engine bay.

BTW, you can't use that bucket depressor without cutting it in half - at least with the engine in the car...
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast