GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Remove trim from around OBC

Default Remove trim from around OBC

I have a 1989 535i. I know about removing radio. I've read about the possibility of breaking the lever when removing the OBC and how the lever should also be pushed in from the right side of OBC. The piece of trim to the right of OBC is plastic (as opposed to wood). I can't seem to get a tool between the OBC and the trim. How is the trim removed? Pry it out, gently? Or is there a screw? Or does another piece need to be removed first?

TIA

Jim

There are two covers on each side of the OBC/Radio console that will need to be removed. They are about 8-9 inches long, these will need to be removed.

I used my finger nail to get into the gap and then just pull, they are pretty durable and just clip in. Once you get these out there will be four screws (2 on each side) that you can remove.

I have only ever gotten to this stage before, because at this stage you will find that the 'cage' that holds the A/C, Radio and OBC is actually seated behind the outer centre console (hard to describe, easy to show) and I didn't feel like ripping out my centre console so I can get a cage out.

I did this when I was replacing my OBC, upgrading it to the full OBC. I'm not sure why you state that there is a lever on the right side of the OBC, it's only on the right side when the car in question is right-hand-drive. For LHD, the lever should be on the left (on the side where the radio is).

Quote Originally Posted by Yiorgos
    ... I'm not sure why you state that there is a lever on the right side of the OBC, it's only on the right side when the car in question is right-hand-drive. For LHD, the lever should be on the left (on the side where the radio is).
    Thanks for the help. What I was trying to say about the lever on the right is that it is part of the same lever on the left and by by pulling on the left and pushing on the right it reduces the chance of breaking it.

See this

I read something like that and I get paranoid about breaking things.
    Again, thanks, it will be a few days before I get to it. Will post the outcome.

Jim

When pulling out my old digital clock / temperature gauge the only thing I was worried about was breaking my thumb -- a huge amount of force was required on my part to dislodge the device from the console.

I just did the obc upgrade. There was only one lever on mine. It was on the left side of the back of the obc cage (same side as the clock). The first time I removed the obc (had to go back in several times) it was hard to remove but it became easier each time. I think it would be pretty tough to break the thing.
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

Pulled on the lever and the OBC popped right out