GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Fix rattle "Double Sunroof" on '94 Touring?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Fix rattle "Double Sunroof" on '94 Touring?

Hi There,

My first post on this great forum

My problem is that in the last couple of months my double sunroof is rattleling a lot, it's driving me insane.
    Are there guys who now what that noise is and if there is a fix for it?

Thx a lot

Greetzzzz

PS: Sorry for my bad english!

Same here, first 11.5 years it was fine, now in the last 3 months it's gotten quite noisy. Still works fine, quiet when closed, noisy in any open position. Haven't gotten around to taking a good look at it yet, suspect it'll be fixable. Let me know if you get any good solutions/results. I'll let you know what I find out, if anything.
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

I'm gonna look into it this weekend because it gets worser everyday, It opens and closes like a charm but that noise is really driving me even when it's closed. Sound like a lose cable tikking inside the roofpannels.
    I'll also let you know when I found a solution. Someone adviced me though tighten all the screws in there.
    But i'll let you know how it goes.

Glad I'm not the only one

Greetzzz

Try some wd-40 spray on the tracks and moving parts. That fixed my rattleing/ticking sun roof. Car is a 92 525iT.

Something I had to do from time to time on my wagon was to lube a bunch of the hidden bits on the inner panels. You should definitely take the time to lube the main slide rails, something like white lithium grease is good there, and clean them up as well - they are big enough that you'll often get bits of leaves and dirt in them. Clean them out and lube them up for basic functionality.

My inside roof panels would also get very creaky from time to time. There are a few little rails inside the sunroof cassette, along the outer edges of the ceiling panels. The channels in them allow the rear panel to lift up a bit and then lets the front panel slide back. I found that these little hidden rails would sometimes need a bit of lube to prevent an annoying plastic/plastic squeak. I used tiny bits of WD40, through a spaghetti, and you have to be very careful to not get any on the ceiling of the car.

You also may want to use something to lube the rubber/felt gasket that runs around the large opening in the roof, perhaps a bunch of the felt has worn off and is allowing some unexpected noise.

--Micah O'C
    formerly '92 525iT

Hey thanx for the info guys, I'm gonna try all your suggestions this weekend and I'll let you know what the result is.

Appreciate the help!

Greetzzzz

Hey

I tried all the stuf you guys mentionned but nothing realy reduced the rattles.
    Then I tried the stuff I found on the following website http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e34/int...f_rattles.html
    and rattles are almost away. It may help some people with the same problem.

Greetzzz & thx for the help!

If anyone knows another solution feel free to sugest.