GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Feeler: M5 for sale?? Am I nuts?

Default Feeler: M5 for sale?? Am I nuts?

I'm at a turning point.

I've had the M5 for 6 years and it is, by far, the best car I've ever owned. However, I need a newer vehicle for my daily driver as I cannot justify owning and maintaining two cars.

So, comments?

The car:

-'91 M5, located Calgary AB, Canada
    -320+hp S38B36
    -5 speed with 3.91 LS diff
    -166,000 km (about 100,000 miles) - purchased in 2000 with 103,000 kms
    -Black (Glanzschwarz) with black OE ground effects
    -Black extended leather interior (adds leather to console, door handles - essentially all leather below the shoulder line)
    -SuperSprint cat-back (new in '05)
    -UUC EVO SSK with DSSR and RK2
    -new Koni sport (yellow) in front with OE springs (some of you may remember my leaking Koni rant...)
    -new SLS bombs this year (SLS works perfectly)
    -upgraded stereo with sub
    -Never hit (hood and pass rear door re-sprayed long ago due to vandalism)
    -2 or 3 full sets of wheels and tires, summers (AC Schnitzer Type 1 and Michelin Pilot Sport AS) 75%, winters (OE Turbines with Hakka RSi snow/ice) 90%, alternate winters (E38 style 15 with Hakka NRW) on 16" wheels 40%
    +++

Drives like new, minor rust starting in the door bottoms.

Not a current picture, but it looks the same (summer wheels):

Other pics if requested.
    Anthony
    03/64 production

'91M5 - 11/90, was mine, it's Jim's now.

Have you lost your mind? Snap out of it Anthony! What are you thinking? Keep the Beast and get yourself whatever you need to get by. If it's basic transportation you need there are plenty to choose from, but keep the M5, it's the last of the handbuilts.

You need support! Right away! Everytime I threaten to sell mine, Scott Hersted helps to bring me to my senses. (he does this every week now)

Having one car for 6 years is quite a record, it's good to experience a variety of cars that you admire, but quite frankly, considering the performance, luxury, performance, performance, (did I mention performance?)
    It's hard find something that compares to some level, especially if you compare price and cost of ownership.

My wife always wonders why I don't use the '01 525 if I need to go somewhere, it's usually the 318iS that gets the nod. The E39 is too luxurious for me, the handling and feel of the road is what I admire most and that is best transmitted through the E30, not to mention I like to saw my own gears.

The M5 is entirely a different story, but I'm preaching to the choir here and won't waste anymore bandwidth...

Good luck with your decision. (piles on guilt.....old Hersted trick)

Erm, $5000. I'll come pick it up tomorrow. If that's not a good price, don't think about selling it!
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    Have you lost your mind? Snap out of it Anthony! What are you thinking? Keep the Beast and get yourself whatever you need to get by. If it's basic transportation you need there are plenty to choose from, but keep the M5, it's the last of the handbuilts.

You need support! Right away! Everytime I threaten to sell mine, Scott Hersted helps to bring me to my senses. (he does this every week now)
    Good luck with your decision. (piles on guilt.....old Hersted trick)
    Thanks Jr - pile on the guilt!

I was in the same quandry a couple of years ago but at the time the real problem was that I couldn't stand living in a condo. I built a house (pos July 04) which solved the problem until now. Perhaps when I identify the real cause for ennui the real solution will present itself.

The problem with buying another car and keeping the M5 is that I only have one space available in the garage: boat on one side, car on the other. Leaving the M5 outside for storage is not an option and having the daily driver outside defeats the purpose of having a garage. Complicated?
    Anthony
    03/64 production

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    Erm, $5000. I'll come pick it up tomorrow. If that's not a good price, don't think about selling it!
    5K will get you 2 seats and 1 door...
    Anthony
    03/64 production

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)

The problem with buying another car and keeping the M5 is that I only have one space available in the garage: boat on one side, car on the other. Leaving the M5 outside for storage is not an option and having the daily driver outside defeats the purpose of having a garage. Complicated?

This is serious. You clearly are not thinking straight. Sell the f---ing boat. Aren't boats defined as holes that you throw money into? Sell the boat and rent something when you want to go on the water. If you absolutely have to keep the boat, then build an ancillary shelter for the boat and get that daily driver in the garage with the 5.

Like JR said--what do you not understand about handbuilt and performance?

And Qube, shame on you for trying to take advantage of Anthony in a week moment. I know that doing that is the only way someone gets one of these cars, but you could at least have the decency to wait until he was committed to an insane plan rather than trying to scoop it up when he is just in the vulnerable musing stage.
    Last edited by Gayle; 11-23-2006 at 02:58 PM.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Ok Anthony, you asked for it.....go out to the garage (bring a pocket full of quarters) take the M5 out, let her oil get good and warm, open it up a bit and pull into the best self serve car wash around your area. Rinse 'er down and suds 'er up...hose 'er off with the spot free rinse and head for the stable.

Once inside the garage with the M5 dripping here and there, wipe 'er down with a couple of your finest microfiber towels. Reach in the cabinet and go for the best Carnuba wax you have and lay on a generous coat. Now let her flash off and wipe the most brilliant shine you've ever laid eyes on onto the fresh microfiber towel that awaits in the wings........

Now....stand back.........take a good long look.......those wheels.....those lines......that stance.........and ask yourself....

HOW COULD YOU ANTHONY??!!!!!

(more guilt just applied at the proper time)...

Well, what are friends for?

jr

Upon further thought, I have decided that what you need is inspiration--inspiration from the supreme god of bmw storage.

The M5 should be wintered someplace like this

Yes we all think Shogun is a little nuts because he has so many 7s--and this is in a country in which you can't buy a car unless you have a place to park it.

He is not the only one with to many bmws in Japan. Check this.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    But yesterday one of my friends "admitted", that he has 14 E32 750, out of that 4 Alpina B12 5.0 and one E31 850 Alpina B12.

I always thought he has 4, but yesterday he told me that the others are in a warehouse he has rented for the cars. But he never tells other people about that, because they might think he is '' about this model.

In Japan in most of the places one needs to have a parking lot to buy and register a car. The lot must be within a radius of 2 km from home.

So Anthony--think about the greater obstacles some people overcome to house their beloved bmws and quit your whinning.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony (M5 in Calgary)
    I've had the M5 for 6 years and it is, by far, the best car I've ever owned. However, I need a newer vehicle for my daily driver as I cannot justify owning and maintaining two cars.
    Every time I've sold the best car I've ever owned, I've regretted it. You will too.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    This is serious. You clearly are not thinking straight. Sell the f---ing boat. Aren't boats defined as holes that you throw money into? Sell the boat and rent something when you want to go on the water. If you absolutely have to keep the boat, then build an ancillary shelter for the boat and get that daily driver in the garage with the 5.

Like JR said--what do you not understand about handbuilt and performance?

And Qube, shame on you for trying to take advantage of Anthony in a week moment. I know that doing that is the only way someone gets one of these cars, but you could at least have the decency to wait until he was committed to an insane plan rather than trying to scoop it up when he is just in the vulnerable musing stage.
    The boat's a family share and I've agreed to store and maintain it, so I'm stuck there. Here's the car hole sans boat, so you can see how much other storage space I have. No access to the back yard at all...
    PS: the car at right is a hint to the possible replacement...
    Anthony
    03/64 production

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast