GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: e28 m5 on ebay with BLACK leather interior

Default e28 m5 on ebay with BLACK leather interior

I have never seen, only heard of such a creature. They are very rare in the us b/c 99% of US spec M5's were black with tan leather interiors. I just thought you all might want to see it.

For those of you that don't want to go searching for the link...

e28 m5 on the 'bay
    1989 535iM 229,000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by JKBe30m3
    I have never seen, only heard of such a creature. They are very rare in the us b/c 99% of US spec M5's were black with tan leather interiors. I just thought you all might want to see it.
    This one must have been imported and federalized or the owner purchased the interior of another car. ALL of the e28 M5's built for US consumption were Black and Tan.
    -ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

It is believed that the few original black interior cars in the US came down from Canada...

Chassis number 2875226
    Vehicle code DC93
    Series E28
    Model M5
    Body type saloon
    Catalog model USA
    Production date 1987 / 11
    Engine S38
    Transmission Manual
    Steering Left
    Catalyzer YES

Quote Originally Posted by Giggity
    It is believed that the few original black interior cars in the US came down from Canada...
    Correct you are! BMWNA brought about 50 Canadian M5s down here since they couldn't give them away in Canada at the time. Not that the M5 sold that well down here, either, when they were new. Most likely it had the heated seats, too, as have all the black interior (Canadian-spec) E28 M5s I've run across.

Now, in the VIN info above (and in others I've looked at online) the car is stated to be a USA model. Can that be interpreted as North America?

I like and want. However, no time for any kind of e28. Had one once and loved it. I let it run down to the point of selling it for my E34, which I think is great. I think I want a 1988 e28 535i 5 speed, one owner, under 100,000, stock etc. to play with. Of course for a resonable price.

I think a M5 like this will be out of the question from a maintenance issue for me and many others, especially if it has Canadian or US emission specific parts. BTW, there are at least a couple e28 M5s here in Lexington, KY
    Last edited by Russell; 11-22-2006 at 01:47 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Something happened to the ass end of that car. Its missing its decklid spoiler, the M5 badge is attached to far apart and the rear muffler is not a factory one.

Here is the skinny on the interior:

Why are all North American E28 M5s essentially identical?
    Because the E28 M5 was hand-assembled, yet needed to be manufactured for the North American market in relatively large numbers within a relatively short amount of time, BMW of North America was forced to limit the model's specification to just two color schemes: Black (086) with a Natur (tan) leather interior and (officially for Canada only) Black (086) with a black leather interior.

Why is a North American E28 M5 with a black leather interior so rare?
    Though a Natur (tan) leather interior was the only official color choice for the U.S. market, Canada insisited on giving E28 M5 buyers the option of a black leather interior. Because all cars for North America (Canada and the U.S.) are built to one specification aside from minor details like metric or non-metric instrumentation, some U.S. dealers were able to special order the black interior. However, it is thought that less than 50 North American M5s with a black interior were produced.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Quote Originally Posted by Derek A.
    all cars for North America (Canada and the U.S.) are built to one specification aside from minor details like metric or non-metric instrumentation
    Is this really true? Isn't it still a complete bitch to try to import a car from Canada into the US, conforming with the ******** EPA and DOT crap, essentially the same as importing a car from Germany?
    1989 535iM 229,000 miles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast