GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1212 Oxygen Sensor 2

Default 1212 Oxygen Sensor 2

By searching, I was able to learn what a stomp test was, how to perform it, and then actually do it. (apparently doing it immediately after putting the ignition on is the trick).

So I have a check engine code 1212 which I also leared through another search that this means oxygen sensor 2.

I found a link from Bruno for racingking.net here in Canada that had a deal on them a few months ago. https://www.racingking.net/canada/sc...?idProduct=696

So far so good. And thanks to everyone that helped that had no idea you did so.

What I don't know or understand is if this is the right part. I'm going to need help knowing where and how to install it at some point, but that will mean either purchasing the bentley manual or doing more searches I'm sure.

Can someone please point me in the right direction to either get the part number, or know which one to buy from racing king.

Thanks!!!!
    1995 540i E34 Green V8 4.0L Auto Style 5's 200,000 KM's

I think the ones Bruno is selling are too short (the wire), no links for you either.

Since you use the search function, have you researched vacuum leaks or intake leaks? These will trigger O2 codes all day.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    I think the ones Bruno is selling are too short (the wire), no links for you either.

Since you use the search function, have you researched vacuum leaks or intake leaks? These will trigger O2 codes all day.
    Uh, are you saying that code 1212 doesn't mean the sensor is shot and that it could be an air intake leak??

Oh boy, I don't think I like the sound of that. But I'll take your advise and start researching it. thanks.

I found a little bit more info on the 1212 error code.

It says to check the oxygen sensor wiring and the operation of the sensor. The value should fluctuate between .02 and .85v. Slow fluctuation indicates a polluted oxygen sensor and negative fluctuation indicates a damaged sensor.

Any idea how to actually perform this test?

yep, just wanted to give you a heads up for when the O2 sensor dont fix the problem. If you never changed the intake gaskets, pcv plate and front TB plate, your in for a few hours beer time

it's not really hard or anything, it just sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefcorey
    Uh, are you saying that code 1212 doesn't mean the sensor is shot and that it could be an air intake leak??

Oh boy, I don't think I like the sound of that. But I'll take your advise and start researching it. thanks.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Connect a voltmeter, run the motor and read the meter.
    The code indicates a value out of the normal range. The O2 sens. may be fine but a vac. leak is causing a lean running condition, hence the out of range value.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

you are more likely to get a lamdba control code if there is a vacuum leak than an O2 sensor code (at idle anyway), however if your sensors are 50000 miles old then they should be replaced anyway. and replace BOTH of them at the same time.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    you are more likely to get a lamdba control code if there is a vacuum leak than an O2 sensor code (at idle anyway), however if your sensors are 50000 miles old then they should be replaced anyway. and replace BOTH of them at the same time.
    Thanks BillionPa, I'll do both then. I have no clue how old they are, and with more than 200,000 km's, I'm sure they are well overdue.

Now off to find part number, order, and figure out how to install!!

Keep us posted on your progress. High res pics wiff arrows are a +!
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Keep us posted on your progress. High res pics wiff arrows are a +!
    Sure thing. It's going to take me a few weeks, but I'll come back to this thread and post them when done.

It turns out that the O2 Sensors are more like $110, not the $50 I saw quoted. If anyone can find them cheaper than that let me know. I wasn't anticipating having to invest another $250 for this project.

Also, any idea why this part number, 0 258 003 523, has two different parts come up, it's the same at a bunch of on-line stores (BMA, Bavarian, Canada Auto parts, etc). One seems considerably cheaper and has a kit of some sort, the other is more expensive with no such kit. And both appear to be made by Bosch. If you know which one I'm supposed to buy and why that would be great.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast