GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, Just joined.

Default Hello, Just joined.

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Name:  bmw5.JPG
Views: 461
Size:  77.0 KB[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
    Hi, my name is David and i live in melbourne. Just bought this 1990 525i 5 speed manual a couple of weeks ago. I have lowered it over a new set of 18's and tinted the windows. Also a quick polish and the mandatory chrome exhaust tips. All up spend so far is $9,700 au. I love the everything about the car except it's willingness to accelerate. I would just like some suggestions on an engine or an engine/box swap. I was thinking jap import, but everyone i talk to thinks that it's a bad idea. What do you guys recommend?? Only want to spend about $5,000-6,000 or less if i can. I can do most of the work myself. Or should i sell it and get a 535i or 540i???
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0wagon
    Hi, my name is David and i live in melbourne.
    <waves> Hi David.

I was thinking jap import, but everyone i talk to thinks that it's a bad idea.
    OOPS!!! Not the best site on which to ask that question!!!

If you want fast, search for Jon K. He has created a supercharged and now turbocharged e34 that I (and the police & courts) believe is a "bit quick"......

Is the engine in your's the m20 or m50? In the UK we swapped to m50 in late 1990 and my old e34 525 was fitted with one and was rated at 192bhp. I don't think it was slow to accelerate.

If you want help modifying the BMW engine, stick around there's loads of good advice* available on the board.

*632 Regal excluded from this statement for obvious reasons........ Hi Jeff.
    1997 e39 523SEi touring.

find a wrecked M3 and steal the engine. you will need a new clutch.

OR, a complete tuneup and an EAT chip will give noticable power increase.

new distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil, ignition solutions coil booster, plugs, pulse generator, wires, air filter, fuel filter, carbon canister, 5W30 synthetic oil, timing belt, valve adjustment, new vacuum lines, etc.

or you can spend some more money, get an upgraded engine built from your old core with a stage 2 head, lightweight pistons/rods, bigger oil pump, and slap a turbo and megasquirt ECU on it... that will make your car MUCH faster for about $8000 USD.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Default G'Day 5.0wagon

Just up the road from you

That is a really sweet looking ride mate!

Sure, go do the Japanese Import swap.....if you want to, but there really isn't much point.

You see,

before the Japanese got the idea of (automotively speaking) putting turbo chargers/superchargers and fuel injection on their production cars. The Bavarians had been doing it for a very long time, they know a thing or two about making an otto cycle engine expand it's (metaphorical) 'chest' and breath deeply.

Type: BMW M12/13 tc
    Year: 1981-1987
    Number of cylinders: 4
    Configuration: straight, turbo, 72 degree left (1986)
    RPM: 10500
    Capacity: 1500
    Power: 557-640 bhp, 770 bhp (1984), 850 (1985)

(Copywrite from BMW World [http://www.bmwworld.com/engines/racing.htm])

And there was the 2002 Turbo before that, in fact I think it was the late '50's that the first 'Injected engines' came out....but I digress.

If you repost here with the engine type (i.e. model M20/M50 it will be in the handbook or on the compliance plate failing a handbook) there are people here who can give you some pointers on what the best approch would be.

Personally, I would have a look around in the Yellow Pages as in Melbourne there are more 'Tuning houses' than you could poke a stick at.

At a guess, you could probably have fitted and tuned a 'Stage One' Turbo and intercooler on the stock injectors for a reasonable price.
    Have a talk to these guys http://www.bavariacars.com.au/ they are in Sydney but they may well be able to point you in the right direction with someone to contact in Melbourne.

Good luck with your search, check back often and let us know how your going with the upgrades.

At the risk of sounding like a 'Dad', get some good quality ceramic pads to help your brakes out, at least for this first stage.
    If your going to pump some serious horsepower from it get bigger brakes fitted and sorted first,
    then add the big HP .

Just some friendly advice from someone who's been there, done that, got the T'shirt............and survived.
    Last edited by Boom n Zoom; 11-21-2006 at 06:20 AM.
    Boom 'n Zoom

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    find a wrecked M3 and steal the engine. you will need a new clutch.

OR, a complete tuneup and an EAT chip will give noticable power increase.

new distributor cap, rotor, ignition coil, ignition solutions coil booster, plugs, pulse generator, wires, air filter, fuel filter, carbon canister, 5W30 synthetic oil, timing belt, valve adjustment, new vacuum lines, etc.

or you can spend some more money, get an upgraded engine built from your old core with a stage 2 head, lightweight pistons/rods, bigger oil pump, and slap a turbo and megasquirt ECU on it... that will make your car MUCH faster for about $8000 USD.
    Welcome aboard mate. I agree.

The best power mods for M20 cars are 1). EAT chip alt Megasquirt (much, much more involved modification requiring a Wideband O2 sensor), followed by a turbo aka Jon K's recently built car.

Excellent work but it is involved. Get an EAT chip and save up for the turbo...

Thing about the M20 is that it is naturally a great motor to turbocharge for a bunch of reasons. If you do it right you can retain economy and
    end up with twice as much power on tap for AU 4-5k and lots of time.

But in the meanwhile you just drive a slightly slower car than you'd like. In the long run you get a car much faster than you'd like... Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Beautiful wheels.

Are those the E65 7-Series 19" wheels?

EDIT: I see they're 18s. Shoot. I want those BADLY.
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

Hi David,

I'm Nick, and I'm in Tassie. Firstly, that E34 is FINE!! It looks a treat on those wheels, and the black really accentuates the red nicely!!

I think, unless you buy an M5 or 540i, the 5er is always gonna be a trade-off between style, comfort and power. Getting such a big car moving from a stand-still is always the prime dilemma (once its up there, however, it'll absolutely fly!!). As many have suggested... Turbo it!!

There is ****-loads of info about in regard to turbo'd 525i's, so that would be my pick!!

There is lots of knowledgable E34 nuts on here, so stick around, and they'll give you lots of advice... providing you use the 'search' function first!!

Gone but NEVER forgotten. :'(

And then...

...........What do you guys recommend?? Only want to spend about $5,000-6,000 or less if i can. I can do most of the work myself. Or should i sell it and get a 535i or 540i???
    turbo. there are plenty of turbo m20s around, not sure about RHD ones though, either that or go for an M engine like a s38 or s50. depends what you want. I am not a modder, so personally i'd sell it an get a 540i if you're that worried should be around the 15-20 mark and you'll get more money back when you sell it (in comparison to a modded 525i).

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

[QUOTE=Nick.Hay]Hi David,

Here Here.. Turbo has to be the way to go! Nice looking Car!!

1989 E-Firty Tooring - 2.9
    1989 E-Firty For - 535is

As one australian to another: Fill out your profile, otherwise people are going to get the shits with you. especially location model and year of your car.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast