GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vortex Generator - It really works. Honest!...

Default Vortex Generator - It really works. Honest!...

Just found another "deal of a lifetime on eBay" It's not crap. Trust me.

I pity Jeff. He'll have to buy 2 for the 850.......
    1997 e39 523SEi touring.

Does it also cure cancer and promote world peace?

if you really wanna see how effective something like this is, try the vacuum sealed liquid tornado trick. you need 2 glass bottles (like 2L coke bottles, but glass) fill 1 80% with water, start it swirling around, then flip it upside down. time how long it takes to get all in the other bottle. then WITHOUT swirling it, turn it upside down. it should take about 20% less time. try it yourself.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    Does it also cure cancer and promote world peace?
    The Cure-Cancer-and-World-Peace-Vortex-GeneratorTM does just that!!!!!!! However it has a Buy-it-now price of $1.4Billion.
    1997 e39 523SEi touring.

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    if you really wanna see how effective something like this is, try the vacuum sealed liquid tornado trick. you need 2 glass bottles (like 2L coke bottles, but glass) fill 1 80% with water, start it swirling around, then flip it upside down. time how long it takes to get all in the other bottle. then WITHOUT swirling it, turn it upside down. it should take about 20% less time. try it yourself.
    I thought cars sucked in air, not water.
    But please, forgive me if i am wrong.
    11/88 535iA

Quote Originally Posted by Michael999
    True. They do work with air.

But try doing the experiment with air and let me know what you saw.......... A photo of it would also be nice.

Now try again using water. A bit easier to see, ne pas?
    1997 e39 523SEi touring.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael999
    True. They do work with air.

But try doing the experiment with air and let me know what you saw.......... A photo of it would also be nice.

Now try again using water. A bit easier to see, ne pas?
    1997 e39 523SEi touring.

Ok, with the 2 bottles. your moving air to one, water to the other.
    An exchange of substances.

A motor sucks in air, but whilst its doing that it does not shoot water out of the intake.

As for the actual spiraling of air.
    Air goes in your filter, then spirals.
    After the spiral, the air then goes around some bending corrugated rubber hose, losing most if not all the swirling effect.
    After that the air passes over an AFM, forcing the air through a non round hole unless your at WOT.
    After this, the air hits the throttle body, once again going through a small restrictive slot.
    If there is still any spiraling left after this, we then need to divide the air into 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12 pipes in the intake manifold.
    11/88 535iA

the main reason the vortex generators dont do much is because the engine is sucking air thru them. therefore they are sucking against the vanes of the vortex generator. and as the speed of the air increases, the force against it increases exponentially. this causes a considerable dropoff in engine torque as the RPMs increase or the throttle opens, as the intake boot is a fixed size.

vortex generators can theorhetically make small displacement engines, like a geo metro, get more power on the highway.

after going through this metal thing, the air has to go through the MAF, which will see the low pressure center of the vortex as LESS air passing through and cause the car to run lean. using less gas.... so you have to press the pedal down more, exacerbating the vane force against the incoming air charge.

in reality you actually end up using more gas for the engine to do the same amount of work because of the drop in operating efficiency of the engine, on average about 20% MORE GAS!

dont forget what happens if one of those vanes snap off and fly into the cylinder head!

i was gonna say this before, but i was about to go to sleep so i didnt.... god dammit!
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

oh and in that bottle thing, the bottles are supposed to be sealed at 0 air pressure, total vacuum, so its just water moving, no air, in order to replicate the effect swirling the air charge would have.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast