GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: check engine at idle

Default check engine at idle

I just changed my oil to 10w-40 castrol synthetic and now my check engine comes on about 10 seconds into idle. It goes away if I hit the gas above 1300 rpms. I had 5w-30 regular oil in there before but recommended was 10w-40 or 15w-40. Should I go back or is there something i'm missing?

i don't think the oil is problem.

i use Mobil S 10w-40 and no problem, works fine..

Kind of odd that it happened right after I changed the oil.

Default Check all the wires and hoses

Quote Originally Posted by wang540
    Kind of odd that it happened right after I changed the oil.

That you may have touched or bumped into while doing the change.

You may have knocked something loose.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

fyi castrol syntec isnt synthetic oil. although it is good oil for 3-5000 mile intervals and no redline driving.

as bob says you could have touched a sensor harness. the MAF is in that area.

unplug the MAF, ICV, air intake temp sensor harnesses, clean the contacts with contact cleaner, then use a small amount of dielectric grease on the contact and plug em all back in.

you could have also nudged a fragile vacuum hose and induced a leak.

get the code from the stomp test and see whats up.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

As BillionPa said, get the check (stomp) code. The light is there so that it can give you information. It could very well just be a coincidence or some kind of human error.
    Brandon J

Wang,I have exactly the same problem.Changed oil and filter,used something different and boing!
    Ive subsequently changed the oil back and a new oe filter,checked the check valve(thanks forum)and replaced the oil pressure sender unit on the cylinder head(m30)Twice!
    I am still trying to find the problem after 4 odd months.Pulled the filler cap of while idling and saw Niagra Falls worth of oil flowing in the cam area.So now I drive the car knowing theres pressure at least.After driving and switching off, "oil pressure sensor"warning comes up..
    Also had the oil light show dim for a while and then gradually get up to full brightness..This has however stopped and its only the warning now.
    I will follow this very closely..
    Last edited by Barry; 11-21-2006 at 11:26 AM.

Well, I went back and checked everything twice and the check engine light still comes on at idle and goes away when I hit the gas. I'm not getting the "oil pressure warning" or the oil pressure light i am stumped. I also notice that my idle gets a little rough when the light comes on.

i bet if you turn it on, let it idle, then turn it off when the light comes on, and retrieve the stomp code, it will be Lambda Control (1222)
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue