GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Goodbye E34, hello E39

Default Goodbye E34, hello E39

Well,

after having lots of fun driving a '95 530i I was wondering what could possibly go wrong. It had an inspection 2 last week, flew through it needing only a new washer fluid cap (along with the normal bits). I was very happen. Then it happened, my accountant rang and said she needed to see me.

This is normally for one of two reasons, either I owe her money (or alcohol), or I have run out of money (or am going to). Unfortunately it was the latter. As a cost saving exercise, I decided to gulp and sell the 530 I loved it, and can say i've owned one, but the fuel bills are crippling for someone who commutes to work.

Thursday I went looking at cars, drove a peugeot 306 diesel, couple of Audi A4's, toyota, VW golf (I think its called a rabbit in US?). Reached lunchtime and hadnt really liked any of them. Went to loook at a '94 525 tds in the afternoon, but he wanted too much. I was just about to leave and he mentioned a mate of his who has a 523i. He didnt tell me what year or anything, but I was interested so I went to have a look.

Decent photos will follow, but it was love at first sight. Turns out it was an 1999 E39, black on black (cloth interior). Wood kit, auto-climate control, steptronic, etc.... Has 160,000 miles on it, but all motorway milleage with a full service history from a BMW dealer, so doesnt bother me too much.

Sorry for the long post, will have to write what I think of it tomorrow when I make sense

-Simon
    ---UK 05/99 BMW 523i SE, M52BTU25, steptronic, Chassis Number GH75179, 161,000 miles---

Another one bites the dust...

Quote Originally Posted by splower
    Well,

after having lots of fun driving a '95 530i I was wondering what could possibly go wrong. It had an inspection 2 last week, flew through it needing only a new washer fluid cap (along with the normal bits). I was very happen. Then it happened, my accountant rang and said she needed to see me.

This is normally for one of two reasons, either I owe her money (or alcohol), or I have run out of money (or am going to). Unfortunately it was the latter. As a cost saving exercise, I decided to gulp and sell the 530 I loved it, and can say i've owned one, but the fuel bills are crippling for someone who commutes to work.

Thursday I went looking at cars, drove a peugeot 306 diesel, couple of Audi A4's, toyota, VW golf (I think its called a rabbit in US?). Reached lunchtime and hadnt really liked any of them. Went to loook at a '94 525 tds in the afternoon, but he wanted too much. I was just about to leave and he mentioned a mate of his who has a 523i. He didnt tell me what year or anything, but I was interested so I went to have a look.

Decent photos will follow, but it was love at first sight. Turns out it was an 1999 E39, black on black (cloth interior). Wood kit, auto-climate control, steptronic, etc.... Has 160,000 miles on it, but all motorway milleage with a full service history from a BMW dealer, so doesnt bother me too much.

Sorry for the long post, will have to write what I think of it tomorrow when I make sense

-Simon
    -Trevor Ely

'88 535is
    '95 M Sport 540i (1 of 200)
    '91 M5

When more money comes around you'll buy another
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Interesting that an E39 is cheaper than an E34.

How many miles were on the E34?
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

probably cheaper because of the 700ccs of displacement, and 2 cylinders less.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Not necessarily, I just bought a 94 530I for 4500. Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

It cost me £3200 to by the E39, sold the E34 for £1400. Worth the difference though because a 6/7 year old car is going to need less maintainance than a 11 year old one.
    Not only that but servicing costs are lower, uses a noticable amount less petrol, and is probably more environmentally friendly.

I sorely miss the 530, but with the british government wanting everyone off the roads, or driving mini metros/ other crappy cars, it seemed like a good compromise. Also, like the saying goes, quit while you're ahead, sooner or later it would have needed major work, and I wouldnt have got £200 for her.

The E39 is a cracking car so far, handles better, more comfortable, and definately alot more refined. Still quintessentially BMW.... Might be unfair to compair it to an E34 though, because they're separated by 8 years of development...

-Simon
    ---UK 05/99 BMW 523i SE, M52BTU25, steptronic, Chassis Number GH75179, 161,000 miles---

Quote Originally Posted by splower
    It cost me £3200 to by the E39, sold the E34 for £1400. Worth the difference though because a 6/7 year old car is going to need less maintainance than a 11 year old one.
    I wouldn't count on it - depends on how each of the 2 cars were maintained

I still dont understand how a £3200 E39 is cheaper than a £1400 E34. 4 years difference in age wont make that much difference, and e39s are probably harder to work on yourself. It seems to me that if youre running out of money, a BMW might not be the proper car to drive. If youre looking for fuel economy or smaller engine size, why not go with a 3 series? None of this seems to make sense.
    Last edited by Alexlind123; 11-20-2006 at 09:45 AM.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

agreed, if you ran out of money and sold the E34, where did the extra money come from anyway? money trees?
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    I still dont understand how a £3200 E39 is cheaper than a £1400 E34. 4 years difference in age wont make that much difference, and e39s are probably harder to work on yourself. It seems to me that if youre running out of money, a BMW might not be the proper car to drive. If youre looking for fuel economy or smaller engine size, why not go with a 3 series? None of this seems to make sense.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast