GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introduction of my 1995 525i

Default Introduction of my 1995 525i

Hello everyone,

I am new here and have owned my BMW 525iA for a few weeks now. It has 96k miles on it and is in pretty good shape. Here are some pics:

I really enjoy this car so am looking for maintenance and other tips to keep it running since I am trying to save up money for college (and use it during college as well for years to come). What kind of oil should I use? Should I replace the air filter with BMW air filters? How often should I do this? I know these questions have come up quite often so if someone can tell me a word to search or give me a link, that would be great.

I have a small sound that occurs from the door when I go over bumps or brake to a stop that I'm not sure is very important but is very annoying. I think it's coming from the driver's door which has a broken door seal.

Any other suggestions on what needs checking and when would be great since I pretty much know nothing about car maintenance and repair. I'd like to do some modifications to this car as well such as MTech bumpers/side skirts and some nice MParallels or Tstars but I definitely don't have the funds right now but maybe someday. Thanks in advance!

Looks really nice, classic green color

The air filters from the BMW dealer are great. I forget the brand offhand but I think www.bavauto.com has them as well.

I don't have your engine, so I won't recommend an oil brand/weight

Searching for 'door panel remove' should yield decent results on how to open it up.

You should get a bible, I mean the 'Bentley' manual, there is a pdf here:
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...&highlight=pdf

I'm feelin' kinda lazy right now, so I didn't really do any searches for you :P
    Just wanted to say looks nice!!
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Beautiful. I love Oxford Green on the E34.

BTW: I'm in college and just got my '95 525iA too! Interesting coincidence. I even have the same tires as you, lol. So far it's been a great college car, and everyone wants to drive it. They even want to take it to the liquor store to get beer because they "want to drive a Bimmer". I love it.

You already have MTech skirts, moldings, and painted lowers. I'd suggest you look into shadowlining. It would look great on your car.
    http://www.strictlyeta.net/technical/shadowline.html
    strictlyeta.net /// technical /// exterior /// shadowline trim procedure

You need a new roundel on the hood. Pretty sure BavAuto has 'em.

The great thing about our '95s is that they come standard with the desireable mods, and some of the other stuff that the older E34s don't have. I love my lighted key!
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

As far as maintenace, a lot of people are fine with dino oil and BMW oil filters. I don't change my own oil, and I'm fine with quality dino oil with 4k changes and top-offs.

BMW air filters should be changed every 12-15k. It takes literally 10 seconds to check your air filter, so check it every month.

I'm about to do a D'Sylva chip. $200 or so bucks and it apparently does A LOT for our M50TU automatics. Recommended by nearly everyone. That is also the only engine mod I would do.

Suspension bushings will all be shot if they haven't been replaced.

My car is on it's 3rd OE radiator at almost 104k, and it's second waterpump. Just remember that BMW can't make a long-lasting cooling system for the life of them.

I'm also getting very tired of the stock stereo.

Oh thanks for the link to Bavarian Autosport. It looks like it has just about everything I could possibly want to buy... except I can't find a roundel even though I probably can't afford it right now anyways. But those ac schnitzer wheels look sweet don't they.

By the way, you can't download the Bentley manual anymore since its been up for too long. Any ideas how to get it for free?

www.realoem.com may have the roundel.

I should probably get this car inspected to see if anything needs replacing. I'll post a picture of the engine bay tomorrow. It actually looks really nice and quite clean. The radiator was changed at 70,000 miles but I don't think much else has been except for the brakes.
    1995 525i, 103K, bone stock

Quote Originally Posted by calgreenbmw
    I should probably get this car inspected to see if anything needs replacing. I'll post a picture of the engine bay tomorrow. It actually looks really nice and quite clean. The radiator was changed at 70,000 miles but I don't think much else has been except for the brakes.
    Yeah, you'll probably need suspension stuff. I'd invest your money into overhauling the suspension before anything else. Drop it if you can.

Just be glad you have a '95. I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Denton
    Just remember that BMW can't make a long-lasting cooling system for the life of them.
    haha, it's true
    [1994 530i/5-Speed]

Default Looks like my car!

Find a good independent mechanic
    Get all the records you can, than set up a maintanince schedule. Call the dealers, BMWNA and previous owner.
    change every fluid in the car. However, be careful when changing trany fluid- do not flush, only drain and change the filter.
    I use synthetics in engine (castrol syntec 5w40), trany (mobil 1 Dexron 111) and diff (redline)
    Change plugs, fuel filter, air and cabin filters. Check BMA in Glendale , CA for parts. Call Patrick. .
    These cars can cost $1-2000 a year in proper maintenance.
    Check belts
    Suspension could be weak by now. May need to replace struts and front thrust arm/bushings. Several other suspension parts may need care.
    Tires-If you keep stock wheels, I highly recommend going to 225x60x15 tires.
    Make sure you have all the owner books/manuals, especially the radio code if stock radio.
    The EAT ECU chip by D'Sylvia is excellent
    Get a Bentley manual for all your DIY work.

Good luck
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast