GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Bought the Bentley manual.

Default Bought the Bentley manual.

My bimmer needs some work so I drove over to Bavarian Autosport and bought the manual. I've got to replace the knock sensors. I'm looking at the manual and it says to drain the coolant before I take the intake manifold off. Is this necesary? Its the instructions for removing the head so I was thinking maybe i dont have to do it.

Good, I'm glad your getting to it yourself.

I would drain the coolant, and take the fan and radiator out since it will be much easier to work under there. I would also take the hood off if the project is going to last more than a day or two (which it shouldn't in this case).

If you need any help on anything shoot me a message and I can give you my phone #.
    Zac

Thanks man, This book kicks so much ass. It was worth the 60 bucks. How much does a torque wrench cost?

Toeque wrenches (at least those I've found in Canada) come in two ranges.

I bought a half-decent low torque (0-30 NM, 0-25 ft/lbs) 'audible clicky type' wrench for ~$70 CAN. You could probably get one in the states for ~$40-$50 (guess). This will help with most engine torque applications such as intakes, plugs, accessories etc, but not suspension components, head bolts etc. For these higher torque appliacations, I bought a cheaper 'beam type' 1/2 which will take care of things up to ~250 ft/lbs. Who knows, matbe you can find a good wrench in a large torque range.

Good luck with your project.

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Default Nope, you don't need to drain the coolant, nor remove the hood or the

radiator. Just leave the expansion tank hooked up and move it off to the side.

Quote Originally Posted by 94530inh
    My bimmer needs some work so I drove over to Bavarian Autosport and bought the manual. I've got to replace the knock sensors. I'm looking at the manual and it says to drain the coolant before I take the intake manifold off. Is this necesary? Its the instructions for removing the head so I was thinking maybe i dont have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    radiator. Just leave the expansion tank hooked up and move it off to the side.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by 94530inh
    How much does a torque wrench cost?
    Anywhere from $20 or so to $the-sky's-the-limit. I paid about $300USD for a SnapOn(TM) wrench back when I was doing car work on a pretty serious basis, but I can't say it was significantly better than the $50USD wrench I use now. On a BMW, the critical stuff (like head bolts) is mainly expressed in angles, anyway. Torque angle gauges are relatively cheap.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas