GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: ABS and 'Check Engine' Warning Lights

York, England - an ancient walled city, founded by the Romans. Popular with American visitors!

Default ABS and 'Check Engine' Warning Lights

Hello Everyone

I had my instrument cluster out today and discovered why my ABS light doesn't come on when you turn the ignition key - It wasn't there! The same with the 'Check Engine' bulb - that was missing too.

I replaced both with spares and this was the result; the 'Check Engine' light flashed continuously.

The ABS light came on with the ignition and oil pressure lights and went out once the engine was started. It was ok while the car was reversing but came on once the car was driven forward.

My guess is it is likely to be a sensor fault therefore - would it be a good idea to clean the toothed pulse rings at each wheel (from memory they looked full of dirt). Any other ideas from anyone?

I'm stumped on the 'Check Engine' light - I have had the car for about three years, it has had several services from a dealer and a good independent and it runs very well - the engine hasn't given any concern in over 20,000 miles.

Anyone able to offer any ideas? Should the light behave like the ABS light - come on at start-up and then go out?

Any replies will be gratefully received. Many thanks
    Simon Daubeney, York, England
    1989 530i SE M30 Engine, 5 spd 152,000 miles

I dont know about the ABS light but BMWE34.NET has information about engine code light - click on the link on home page of this forum, then look under Troubleshooting - Engine Codes.

York, England - an ancient walled city, founded by the Romans. Popular with American visitors!

Thanks Bill

I have checked the site since I posted - I think my car is too early to have the 'Check Engine' facility. Hence the missing bulb.

As to the ABS - it definitely is not working (Yes, I tried!). Hope to begin troubleshooting this weekend.

Thank you for posting a reply - I was beginning to lose hope!

Best regards,
    Simon Daubeney, York, England on a beautiful St George's Day.

Unregistered Guest

Default yep agree

on mine 1989, it also had no light and when you put in a bulb all you get is a flashing light, although apparently it will flash fault codes, but also there is a code for no faults so hense flash all the time.

so if you wanted to know what faults existed you could put in the bulb only when you want to check or put in some sort of switch to turn it on..

darren

Thanks Darren!

I think I'll leave the bulb out and put up with the lack of codes! Thanjs for posting.

Simon