GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Another orphan rescued from the storm

Default Another orphan rescued from the storm

A week ago Pawswish posted here about an '89 535/5 with an apparent head gasket failure that was offered for sale.
    So now it sits in my driveway awaiting repairs.
    With 300k miles I was reluctant at any price, but the 5 spd was attractive and the seller impressed me as honest. So for the cost of a lumberjack breakfast en route, a friend who always encourages these things made the 80 mile trip with me to see it.
    Pawswish is a consumate car guy with a bent towards British. Two Lotus Elans and the nicest Mini I've seen. A Cooper S with all the best factory bits.
    His decision to offload the 535 was made easy by the silver 540/6 in his garage.
    The car is exactly as represented(rare) and hopefully the gasket is all she'll need, I don't wish to invest in a fresh head bolted to 300k shortblock.
    An amazing 300k this car is though! It was advertised as all long trip mileage and certainly must have been. In the reams of documented dealer service there is no evidence of clutch replacement and it still feels fine!
    The records are a textbook case of all the usual E34 foibles, about a zillion thrust rod bushings(even the OEM are crap apparently) and front end parts, a couple of radiators and water pumps, rear susp. bushings and the odd climate control issue. But not a single issue regarding the driveline! Dino oil BTW.
    The original owner loved this car and spent five figures maintaining it over the years, Pawswish was right, she's too young to die.
    With the exception of needing 6 gallons of coolant the only issue iI noticed on the way home was a growling wheel bearing.
    Wish me luck with the motor. But if perhaps it requires an overhaul the M30 and 5 spd. may find there way into the wifes touring ala Mr. Project.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Congratulations.

So you've bought a middle-aged e34 Sounds like you got it from a reputable source, which is money in the bank. Speaking of which, can you offer a 'ballpark' figure for what you payed. My 525 is of similar mileage and I often wonder what it would be worth.

Did you happen to have a compression test done? I'd be interested to see the results. Good luck with the head gasket, make sure to get the head tested.

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

$500 with a few spares. It has some poor paintwork done a decade ago after an encouter with one of Wisconsin's many deer and the tires are crap.
    No diagnostics yet but the sun is out today so maybe I'll fool around wth it. I'd sure love to find something simple but don't really expect less than pulling the head.
    The compression is LOW I can tell you because on the ride home when things began getting warm I would turn off the ignition and coast with the car in gear to keep it circulating and there was no perceptable engine braking.

Well, the price was right. See if you go through any oil in the near future. My M50 would drink/burn ~litre/1000km (quart/600miles) with one really bad cylinder.

Have fun with it.

BYW, you now have 666 posts.

Dave M

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

Time to scram that #!
    How do you tell? And what made me a major contributor?

Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    A week ago Pawswish posted here about an '89 535/5 with an apparent head gasket failure that was offered for sale.
    So now it sits in my driveway awaiting repairs.
    With 300k miles I was reluctant at any price, but the 5 spd was attractive and the seller impressed me as honest. So for the cost of a lumberjack breakfast en route, a friend who always encourages these things made the 80 mile trip with me to see it.
    Pawswish is a consumate car guy with a bent towards British. Two Lotus Elans and the nicest Mini I've seen. A Cooper S with all the best factory bits.
    His decision to offload the 535 was made easy by the silver 540/6 in his garage.
    The car is exactly as represented(rare) and hopefully the gasket is all she'll need, I don't wish to invest in a fresh head bolted to 300k shortblock.
    An amazing 300k this car is though! It was advertised as all long trip mileage and certainly must have been. In the reams of documented dealer service there is no evidence of clutch replacement and it still feels fine!
    The records are a textbook case of all the usual E34 foibles, about a zillion thrust rod bushings(even the OEM are crap apparently) and front end parts, a couple of radiators and water pumps, rear susp. bushings and the odd climate control issue. But not a single issue regarding the driveline! Dino oil BTW.
    The original owner loved this car and spent five figures maintaining it over the years, Pawswish was right, she's too young to die.
    With the exception of needing 6 gallons of coolant the only issue iI noticed on the way home was a growling wheel bearing.
    Wish me luck with the motor. But if perhaps it requires an overhaul the M30 and 5 spd. may find there way into the wifes touring ala Mr. Project.
    Thanks Ross, and glad you made it home ok! Figured she was good for one last good roadtrip before a well deserved fix..... I too wondered about that clutch... never seen anything like it!!! I wish the radio in the 540/6 sounded as good

Oil consumption was minimal between between 3-month changes so bottom end is still plenty strong.

She'll treat you well!

Enjoy