GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OBC question

Default OBC question (updated with answer and picture)

I was finally able to get my OBC upgrade to work by following Goldeneaglefan's advice to splice line 17 into 9. I am now trying to get the OBC to display on the instrument cluster, however, I am confused about the other advice in posting here to splice the outer wires on the three-wire yellow connector at the back of the center console. I found two yellow connectors back there but neither matches the description. I would appreciate any advice to help me finish this project. Thanks to all!
    Last edited by brick8; 12-11-2006 at 09:43 AM. Reason: update
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

Update. Just went out for a short ride. The cold warning bonger went off and a cold temperature warning went off with a temperature reading in my instrument cluster. So maybe the OBC is linking up with the cluster. Still get no response when pressing in on the stalk with the book on it. Kind of confused.
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

Default There is a Yellow/Red wire that ...

comes from the stalk and should go connected to the OBC pin 25 (it connects to ground pin 25 when you push the stalk). If you don't have this connection, the stalk will have no effect in the OBC.

It has nothing to do with the data link that is actually connecting the OBC to the cluster.

Javier

Do I need to run a wire from the stalk to the obc pin 25? I read some old posts saying that if the car was originally set up for a cell phone (I believe mine was) that I would need to splice some wire near the cell phone connector that resides under the rear of the center console.
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

Default If your car was set with a phone, it is different, ...

as long as you have the telephone interface box located "Below front of console" (Have never seen one).

With telephone interface, the Yellow/Red wire from the stalk goes to the interface (X1404 pin 1), and the Pin 25 of OBC should connect with a Yellow/Red/White wire to the interface at X1404 pin 3.

If by any reason you removed the interface box, X1404 is hanging with 3 wires (the third is a Black/Green/Yellow one), and you neeed to jump from the Yellow/Red to the Yellow/Red/White.

This is for USA cars.

Javier

I'll have to go in and take another look after I get done checking the diff. oil (leaking). I did see a black box with a telephone connector as well as two small yellow connectors under the back of the console. I tried hooking up an old car phone from a volvo to the connector but it didn't power up. Thanks again.
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R

Default found the right connector

It was pretty warm out today, so I had a second chance to find the mystery connector under the rear console. It is yellow on one side and black on the other. It is a four-wire connector but there are only three wires attached to it. I was able to get to it by (1) removing the plastic access cover (possibly a replacement for a rear ashtray?), (2) removing the two side bolts, (3) pulling up on the back of the console until it the air vent hose came apart, (4) snipping the wire tie that held the bundle of cell phone wires together, (5) finding the correct connector (there are a number of similar ones under there, (6) making a jumper by stripping both ends of a 3" length of single strand copper wire (20 gauge), (7) inserting the jumper into the outermost connector holes that correspond to the outer wires (be careful, one of the outer holes on the connector is not associated with any wires) and (8) taping the jumper in place with some black electrician's tape.

I am attaching a picture of the connector for your reference.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    1992 BMW 525iT (sold)
    1998 V70R