GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Question about conversion feasibility..

Default Question about conversion feasibility..

I'll start by saying that if it has more than two wheels, I'm lost around...how do you say...Bimmers.

With that, I'm considering diving into my first. Kindly refrain from throwing heavy objects when I say that I have in the past been, er, spoiled, by the lavishings of quattro drivetrains. It's almost impossible to go back to a completely open rear wheel drive once you have, but I'd really like to get into a 525it. I know there are those that have traction control, but the only one I've found (that I can afford) alas does not.

So being that traction control (not the power cutting type), is pretty much an over-programmed abs, is it feasible to upgrade or convert? Or, dare I ask, convert to an ix given their seemingly simple approach of adding a transfer case and diff?

Pardon my ignorance. At least attach helpful answers before throwing.

Thanks,

UberBimmerNooben.

I've never seen an iX E34, but the iX E30 3 series cars have a unique floor pan, unique engine blocks (at least on the M20 -- oil pump is reversed), unique transmission, as well as pretty much everything else in the front end including steering and shock towers (not just the struthousings), compared to the RWD E30 platform. I would wager that the E34 is the same way given that the driveline technology is shared from the E30. Best idea is probably to import one. Else stick with those slow audi wagons that cost the same dinero.

Default I see.

So clearly, the drivetrain change is much more complicated than "feasible." What about traction control?

And you are correct: even after dumping 10 more utterly useless valves into their 5 cylinder motors (exellent though they are), they were still quite sluggish and yet less fuel efficient than their competition. Little improvements in power moving to six cylinders, and at a fair hit to fuel-economy.

Thus, I entertain the blue & white. No complaints on their one-wheel drive models.

My guess is it's cheaper to find a wagon with AST than to convert one without. Personally I wouldn't have one without. You do know they were only available with AST in '94 and '95, right?

Anything's feasible, the question is how much time, effort, and re-engineering of the car is too much. X5 3.0/5s are coming down in price, and they're a fun ride.

Personally, I think ASC is largely worthless, appeasement for soccer moms. If snow and ice are a concern, a good set of snow tires and some ballast will more than do the trick.

As to audi V6s, I was always concerned about needing special tools to change a timing belt on -- correct me if I'm wrong -- an interference engine, let alone a V6.

Whre are you from?
    I'm assuming someplace with snow since you had several Quattros.

Without snow, traction is still NOT an issue without AST.

I miss the AWD DSM when it is pouring cats, dogs and small horses, but I have NOT ever had any loss of traction in the wagon... as a matter of fact my concern is always hydroplaning on these big wide rollers...

you would be surprised at how worthless ASC+T can be in the snow. in the rain it doesnt seem so effective either, but thats because of the current state of my tires.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

ASC+T trick--Hold the asc button in for 10 seconds (asc light goes out) and the engine power reduction part of asc+t is disabled. You still have power/abs function to the rear wheels. Must restart the car to restore full asc function.
    Last edited by Russell; 11-18-2006 at 10:31 AM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Default Re: feasibility

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that TC was only in '94 & '95.

The Audi V6's, while possessing superb metallurgy, yada yada...are interference engines that can, on rare occasions, survive a broken belt. The 1.8t's go into a state of hot-fusion if the belt stretches too far. The beloved 5 cylinders were holocaust proof...and largely gone too.

I'm in the northeast, and often have to make long drives without the option of waiting out a storm. It seems their are paltry few choices for me. Subarus are laughable in my not so humble opinion: Slow, marmish, ridiculously uncomfortable, head-gasket leakin' should-be's. But then, they really do it for some people. Audis are has-beens, and it seems I'll have to import if I want a Bavarian awd wagon... and I do. If my R11GS is any indication of BMW's flat refusal to compromise (on the important things, anyway), I want that in an AWD wagon ...one that doesn't require surgery below the belt and above the knees.