GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5 vs 3

Default 5 vs 3

5 series vs 3 series.

Hey, how are you all doing? I've been lurking for a while, and I have a choice dilemma...

Now, I love sharp handling. BMW's are renowned for it. Could anyone compare handling differences between say an E34 535 and an E30 325? Bias between understeer or oversteer, whether the 3 series will hit corners better than the 5.. etc.

Just a comparison of any kind would be greeat

Thanks eaaaa
    Calculated Xtremness

[Personally I love my 5 for the size and great looks, theres nothing better to me than steady crusing in the 5 at 100+ and no worries. The E30 is no doubt a better handling car for a few resons. Ita lightweight for 1, rack and pinion steering is a bonus for better response/ feel etc. shorter wheel base on the e30. For a while, I had the 5 to do high speed cruising in and an E30 for when I wanted to really go out and toss somthing around. The E30 is not near as comfortable though and for any kind of long distance I dont think its very practicle, they arent near as smooth and can be downright buzzy (esp a 318is). I love both though for there advantages.

-Ben

Quote Originally Posted by BlueM60
    rack and pinion steering is a bonus for better response/ feel etc.
    the 535 has rack and pinion.. the v8s used the recirculating ball ? which apparently doesn't feel as great

but i've driven an E30 323i and my E34 535i and the E30 was far more easy to throw around, probably just due to weight.. but the E34 is so sure footed you always know exactly what it's gonna do

unless the aussies got something we didn't no e34 came with a rack, you are probably thinking about the e39 where the I6s had racks and v8s had boxes, racks are overrated, they are more leak prone and a well designed box can feel just fine maybe better then a average rack depending on application

i've had a e34 535 and still have my e30 325ism and they are just different cars hard to compare, the e30 is light and tossable and the e34 is more comfy but with enough power can be tossed around, as for long distance id take ether cross country, the e30 can get better mileage and has just enough back seat to be useful (brought mom and grand ma 1200 miles back from va in the back once and they didn't seem to be uncomfortable) the e30 is less electronic and a little more diy friendly

Quote Originally Posted by Randell
    the 535 has rack and pinion.. the v8s used the recirculating ball ? which apparently doesn't feel as great

but i've driven an E30 323i and my E34 535i and the E30 was far more easy to throw around, probably just due to weight.. but the E34 is so sure footed you always know exactly what it's gonna do
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

ahuh, no rack and pinion at all, it's all steering links. Is there enough room to get down and dirty in an e30 though?

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    unless the aussies got something we didn't no e34 came with a rack, you are probably thinking about the e39 where the I6s had racks and v8s had boxes, racks are overrated, they are more leak prone and a well designed box can feel just fine maybe better then a average rack depending on application

i've had a e34 535 and still have my e30 325ism and they are just different cars hard to compare, the e30 is light and tossable and the e34 is more comfy but with enough power can be tossed around, as for long distance id take ether cross country, the e30 can get better mileage and has just enough back seat to be useful (brought mom and grand ma 1200 miles back from va in the back once and they didn't seem to be uncomfortable) the e30 is less electronic and a little more diy friendly

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    ahuh, no rack and pinion at all, it's all steering links. Is there enough room to get down and dirty in an e30 though?
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I could imagine the e34 being barely adequate let alone an e30.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred

I currently own a E34 525it and E46 330i. I've also had the pleasure of owning an E28 528e (3 years) and an E30 325iX (4 years).
    While the 325iX was a lot of fun, and much more sporty than the E34 (or even the 330i), I think I overall prefer the E34 as a daily driver.

If you want to drive the car hard most of the time, the E30 will be more rewarding. If a more mature and comfortable ride is preferred I recommend the E34.
    Somewhere in the middle would be an E28 525is if you can find one in good shape.
    i still miss my E28...
    1995 525iT
    2002 330i
    E30 325iX - gone
    E28 528e - gone

The E-30 is a much more tossable car. Both understeer but can be coaxed into a fun attitude with throttle.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

I've had 5 e30's and 2 e34's so I'm sort of qualified to give an opinion

The e30 is a great little car, and yes its very tossible, but an e34 can be too with the right suspension mods. Springs, shocks, and sway bars can really turn the e34 into a kart, ask me how I know. I also like how much room the e34 has and all the little things that the e30 doesn't, like heated seats, power seats, full OBC, tons of interior lights... the list goes on. I also like the styling of the e34 much more than the e30.
    Zac

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast