GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The OFFICIAL upgraded steering wheel thread:

Default The OFFICIAL upgraded steering wheel thread:

Well, I have become sick of staring at my Laidlaw school bus steering wheel and have been doing some searching for a new one. Well I have narrowed it down to a few choices but really don't know if they will fit or not. I have a few questions.

1) Does anyone know the hub diameter of a 94 (4/93 production date) 530?

Here are the choices and pro/cons to each wheel...

e46 sport wheel:

pros...great looks/should fit fine/no modification to steering column/the easiest to find
    cons...have to ditch airbag/finding the middle airbag piece is a bitch; have to be Flava Flav to afford one/have to ditch horn

M tech 3 spoke (Euro)

pros...the best looking wheel imo/if I CAN get it to fit, I can retain the airbag and horn

cons...not sure if I can get it fit (although I have seen it on this 95 e34

This link about the fitment of the wheel is very helpful, but I don't know if the e34 and e36 hub dimensions were the same.

http://home.earthlink.net/~frankie66...ringwheel.html

If I was able to obtain one, would I be able to keep a functional airbag and the horn??

Last but least, the M-tech II with airbag and I know it should be a direct fit, but they are few and far between with the airbag and I like the look of the other 2 wheels better...

If someone can answer any of my questions I would be very appreciative.
    Thanks, Andrew
    Last edited by E34 530; 11-13-2006 at 08:17 PM.

I don't know how this thread is the OFFICIAL one as there are lots of information out there. I personally like keeping the stock airbag. Too much at stake if something were to go wrong. That being said, I have an e36 M3 tri-color stitch wheel that many e34 owners use. It has a smaller diameter and the thumb fitment curves are great.

I have also seen other steering wheels where the owners deleted the stock airbag. Besides having to remove the airbag light bulb in the dash, there are more choices. Basically, if it fits the e36, it could fit the ~'91 and later e34. There might have to be some grinding of tabs or what not, but you would really have to look at a picture to determine so.

One word of advice, ALWAYS disconnect the battery before removing the steering wheel. The airbag could go off AND the airbag light will activate. Removing the nuissance of the airbag light is only done at the dealer. Try it with a Peake tool and you will see it does not always work. So don't rush the process and don't lose money to the stealer.

Good luck with your selection.
    Brandon J

what about us with the pre-91 cars? I've done some searching, but since this is the OFFICIAL thread, I figure it can't hurt to ask here

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    You're my hero.

lol... ditto
    1990 535i - 5 spd - Red on black - LSD
    Mods: EAT chip, Sachs Sports Kit, Racing King Subframe Inserts, staggered M-Parallels (replicas) with BFGoodrich g-Force Sports.

Brandon.... do you have a picture of the steering wheel?

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

Quote Originally Posted by liquidtiger720
    Brandon.... do you have a picture of the steering wheel?
    It looks almost exactly like the pre-95's. It's just smaller, has the tri-color M stitching, and has the thumb indents. Give me a sec. I'll find you a pic.
    Last edited by E34 530; 11-14-2006 at 03:56 PM.

Pretty boring looking imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J
    I don't know how this thread is the OFFICIAL one as there are lots of information out there. I personally like keeping the stock airbag. Too much at stake if something were to go wrong. That being said, I have an e36 M3 tri-color stitch wheel that many e34 owners use. It has a smaller diameter and the thumb fitment curves are great.

I have also seen other steering wheels where the owners deleted the stock airbag. Besides having to remove the airbag light bulb in the dash, there are more choices. Basically, if it fits the e36, it could fit the ~'91 and later e34. There might have to be some grinding of tabs or what not, but you would really have to look at a picture to determine so.

One word of advice, ALWAYS disconnect the battery before removing the steering wheel. The airbag could go off AND the airbag light will activate. Removing the nuissance of the airbag light is only done at the dealer. Try it with a Peake tool and you will see it does not always work. So don't rush the process and don't lose money to the stealer.

Good luck with your selection.
    so basically I can fit the e36 Euro 3 spoke on the e34?? Do you know if the e36 Euro 3 spoke is the same as e46 models??

Here's my e46 alcantara steering wheel with. The horn doesn't work but thats okay because I don't use it anyways. I have almost gotten run off the road twice because honking at someone that cuts me off. I recently got the airbag in I can't find the cable for my camera.

Quote Originally Posted by jjdickm

Here's my e46 alcantara steering wheel with. The horn doesn't work but thats okay because I don't use it anyways. I have almost gotten run off the road twice because honking at someone that cuts me off. I recently got the airbag in I can't find the cable for my camera.
    SWEET. I'm probably going to go with the sport wheel but not alcantera. You're not actually going to hook the airbag up, are you?? Ohh and you got the wheel in fine?? I heard that pre-91 e34's had a different spline and were not able to fit the e46 sport wheel.
    Last edited by E34 530; 11-15-2006 at 12:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast