GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stomp test?

Default stomp test?

I performed the stomp test for the first time on my '90 535 per the instructions on bmwe34.net. All that happens is that the check engine light goes through a flashing sequence. No codes appear on the display. Did I do it right? I read that 1444 is supposed to show if there are no faults. TIA!

schnell944

The CEL flashing IS the code!
    For instance...

Flashes once then briefly stops, flashes twice then briefly stops, flashes once then briefly stops, flashes three times then stops, then repeats the whole sequence again.

What, did you think you were going to see actual numbers?
    Zac

i thought that this might be the code. yes, I DID think I would see actual numbers. the display tells me when my washer fluid was low, etc, so I thought it would would display the numbers, as well, rather than blinking a code out.

schnell944

OK, so I properly read it. It's showing a 1222 code. Lambda Control 1. This has to do with the O2 sensor, no? The car seems to run fine, plenty of power. Haven't seen the check engine light come on while driving. Anyone know what should be done? Should I clear it out and see if I get it later? The O2 sensors have not been replaced while I've owned it (for about 30k mi and 4 years) Thanks for any insights.
    Last edited by schnell944; 11-14-2006 at 06:32 PM.

schnell944

lambda control doesnt necessarily mean its the O2 sensor, it just means the sensor thinks your AF ratio is outside the normal operating range. this can signify fuel system or vacuum leaks. the condition of your spark plugs may be able to narrow that down.

although if the previous owner followed normal replacement intervals, you are a few thousand miles (or maybe much more) past due for a new one anyway, so id replace it.

i would unplug the ECU and put the battery on trickle charge while you change it, so when you start the car up again the computer will relearn from scratch rather than trying to adjust to a radically different input signal.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

I get a 1221 code which is the sensor-specific code for oxygen sensors. I know for sure that this is a true code since coolant got to it when the head gave out. I'd try Billionpa's suggestion since your code wasn't specific to the oxygen sensor.

"Scarlet" `97 540/6 with sleepy mods.
    "Box Car" '87 535isA - Old School Charm, new school Flair

thanks! another question....how/when can I reset the stored code memory? The CEL blinks out the code then stays on for a longer period then blinks the 1222 code again and again. at what point should I depress the pedal over 10 sec? I read the e34.net instructions but don't really follow.
    Last edited by schnell944; 11-14-2006 at 10:00 PM.

schnell944

stomp test never works for me!! Key position 2, accelerator 5 times to the floor within 5 secs. Do I need to do a rain dance as well??

EDIT: I know my bulb works too, because the check engine light has been on now since the last time I filled up gas.
    Last edited by swenpro; 11-14-2006 at 10:56 PM.
    _

swenpro, stomp tests are only for US model E34s.

Are you sure your E34 is US-spec?

Either that, or you're not stomping quick enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast